Air Con Leak...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all!

Today's task is fix my van's air con leak. I recently bought one of those top up kits from Halfords but it failed to recharge the system and I was showing 0 PSI after 8 hours of adding the refridgerant.

I can hear the compressor kicking in when I activate the A/C. I can also hear the gas escaping from what seems like right behind the A/C control unit in the cabin.

Is it just a case of stripping off all plastic cladding around the unit and looking for a loose hose behind?

Ta Muchly!
Al

Sponsored Links
Hi Al

The sound you are hearing could well be the compressed gas being fed into the evaporator, the most likely place for a leak is in the condenser mounted in front of the radiator. You really need a professional with the needed gear to find it effectively.

Peter

ok thanks peter, I'll have a quick scout around see if it's obvious otherwise I'll get someone in.

Sponsored Links
Depending on where you are in the country, I've had excellent service from these people:

http://www.fenair.co.uk/

I can thoroughly recommend them - ask for Pat.

No connection, other than being a satisfied customer - he made me up a one-off pipe from an obsolete sample once).

Otehrwise, I agree with Peter. The refrigerant molecules are very small and its almost impossible to find leaks without the proper tackle. You could try painting soapy water over every union and looking for bubbles, but it's not 100% reliable.

Back