Air-condition 24000 BTU-Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

What is the maximum current for an Air-condition 24000 BTU?
What type MCB and cable does this air-condition need?

Sponsored Links
Ask the manufacturers or read the data sheet.

Bear in mind there are two current ratings.

the normal current when running.

The start up current taken while the motors run up to full speed.

During start up a voltage drop in the supply cable will make the run up time longer and this has to be considered in the over current protection.

When you tell us the electrical rating of the unit we'll be able to answer that....

Sponsored Links
I seem to recall that 24000 BTU ( per hour ) is about 7 Kilowatts or 28 amp normal running. But I do not have conversion table to hand.

24,000BTU may well be equal to 7kw in terms of heat output, but you can't use this type of conversion to work out the power consumption of an air conditioning unit.

Unlike, for example, a fan heater, an A/C heat pump heats or cools by moving heat from one location to another. In doing so, it can quite happily give a cooling capacity of say 7kW while requiring only 3kW of electrical power. That's a very broad approximation, and the actual ratio of heat output to power input depends on the COP (Coefficient Of Performance) of the air conditioning unit in question.

Nobody can give you a definitive answer without more information, but I expect a 20A radial will more than suffice.

With no other information one has to take the worst case scenario and plan for that. And even then it may be wrong and under-astimate the requirement for the cable.

With no other information one has to take the worst case scenario and plan for that. And even then it may be wrong and under-astimate the requirement for the cable.

If it takes 7kW I'll buy you a pint :D

Probably won't but as my uncle said when planning the entrance gates consider on one day you may have to get a Rolls Royce in so do not size the entrance for a Mini

@ the OP, check if its 3 phase. If its for your house, you want single phase, as its highly unlikely you have a 3ph supply.

which country will this be in? What is the voltage there? Is it a single phase supply or what?

I can tell from your question that it is not an ordinary UK installation.

24000 BTU/hour? That used to be known as a 2 ton unit, because it can freeze 2 short tons of water a day.

Reckon on a worst case coefficient of performance plus a bit for motot efficiency and the full load current should be around 15A. It it's an all-in-one unit, such as the type that fit into a window, you'll need a 20A circuit to cope with the other fans etc.

If it's split, a modern condensing unit will have an electronic soft start, so no need to worry about a starting transient. Otherwise it would be prudent to use a 30A circuit. You will also need a 3A circuit for the fan coil unit.

Thanks Stoday and others. However, I am from Cyprus (Greek Side) and we apply the UK regulation (Wiring Regulations 16th edition, BS 7671:2001(2004)) The distribution voltage and the grid in Cyprus is similar with english standards.

Sponsored Links
Back