air crash air bags...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been watching day of the triffids on BBC iPlayer, and in it one of the passengers of a plane that is going to crash locks himself in the bathroom with about 30 life vests and inflates them all as a cussion to the impending crash..

it got me thinking that it might not be a bad idea..

put air bags into the seats on airplanes that can be inflated in the event of a crash..
they'd have to be more than the momentary ones you get in cars though..
just something to soften any impact and to keep you in place in your seats...
they would have the added advantage of keeping the fuselage afloat in the event of a water landing..

Sponsored Links
talking about airbags did you know that ones in US cars are bigger and more powerful than EU airbags

this is apparently because EU car safety standard only require them to protect occupants wearing seatbelts but the US require them to protect both belted and unbelted occupants

but back to the original questions airbags in planes would probably be a fire hazard but a giant one on the bottom of the plane might not be a bad idea(to keep the plane afloat in water)

The plane that landed on the hudson river didn't need any flotation aids to keep it afloat,so is there a need for them underneath :?:

Sponsored Links
They would also hinder a hasty evacuation should the plane catch fire. :rolleyes:
so would a broken leg, severe concussion or any other number of injuries that you'd get from a severe crash..

obviously you'd have to have some way of determining at what level of impact to deploy them.

if it's a failry soft crash like the landing gear fails or landing on water then you don't deploy them, but if it's a more severe crash then you would..

talking about airbags did you know that ones in US cars are bigger and more powerful than EU airbags

this is apparently because EU car safety standard only require them to protect occupants wearing seatbelts but the US require them to protect both belted and unbelted occupants

but back to the original questions airbags in planes would probably be a fire hazard but a giant one on the bottom of the plane might not be a bad idea(to keep the plane afloat in water)

do you not think it also could be that americans are generally lard arses.

they could have that expanding foam stuff fill the plane up and when the plane stops they only have to chisel the passengers out.

they could have that expanding foam stuff fill the plane up and when the plane stops they only have to chisel the passengers out.

you been watching demolition man again??

and how sould they get it out of the passengers lungs where they've breathed it in?
or how would the passengers breathe if they kept their mouths shut until the foar had gone off?

and how sould they get it out of the passengers lungs where they've breathed it in?
or how would the passengers breathe if they kept their mouths shut until the foar had gone off?

I can't quite believe you asked those questions, about a tim west post.

why? is he a notorious leg puller?

He has been known to pull the odd leg. :LOL:

I myself have pulled the odd leg; one off of the turkey on Christmas day, one on boxing day and the other on 27th. :LOL:

they could all take a deep breath before it went off?

They would also hinder a hasty evacuation should the plane catch fire. :rolleyes:
If you were in the bog surrounded by inflated airbags in a fire ....You wouldn`t need an evacuation ... your bowel would empty quite happily by itself :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back