Air filter foam - need some ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dehumidifer has a removable panel which prevents dust from accumulating on the cooling "elements" at the rear. The filter is plastic with approx 2 inch x 3 inch holes cut in it and very think foam glued to the inside.

The problem is that the foam is crumbling away and I want to replace it to prevent dust ingress but from looking online I can't seem to to find anything suitable.

The foam needs to be about 2mm or 3mm thick (no more) and about 12 x 9 inches

Can anyone tnink of some suitable air filter foam (or a substitute) please?

Sponsored Links
you can get sheets of air filter material of various grades. I bought a couple of sheets from a place selling vacuum cleaner spares, it is used in the exhaust filter and the motor filter. It is also sold for cooker hood extractors. The black foam is coarser and more open than the white unwoven fabric mat.

As you can cut the sheets to size you can use it for obsolete or unusual machines, or to save paying premium prices for a packaged spare part.

I also use it in (inward blowing) cooling fans on my PC towers. You can hoover off most dust in situ, then wash it after an extended period if you are too mean to fit a new piece.

I expect you could use quite a coarse grade for an aircon, but they might send you samples to compare to the old one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back