Air gap needed ?

M

marsaday

View media item 72547
I have insulated this small bay window roof.

It had zero insulation in there and i have managed to get in 50mm. So far i have pushed it right up to the floor boards which are acting as the main skin of the roof. I still have a gap of 25mm to fill and was planning on putting in more insulation.

However, do i need to leave an air gap instead behind the insulation and between the wooden roof ? If so i will drop the insulation down 25mm, but i would prefer to get more insulation in there if possible.

Sponsored Links
I would not leave any gaps and use insulated plasterboard below the joists.

It's not very practical to vent the space - so as catlad says, fill it with insulation. When you do the ceiling use either a vapour barrier or one of the insulation backed boards that have a vapour control layer built in.

As the 2 above; Building Regs actually accept that it may not be practicable to vent small areas of roof, such as over a bay or porch.

Sponsored Links
Excellent, thanks. Yes will use additional plastic membrane on the underside of the insulation and then plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back