Air in HW system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys new here please be gentle haha. Right I have drained down my vented central heating system to flush it out with a cleaner. I drained it out from the lowest point on my downstairs radiator opened all the bleed valves upstairs to drain the system down. After draining the system down I went through all the radiators one by one bleeding the air out, I noticed a weird noise from the boiler there was air in the system by the pump, I open the bleed valve on a magnetic filter on the return pipe to the boiler which released a lot of air but now the pump works but the boiler does not fire up. I was thinking from things I have read to put a hose directly to the drain valve on the boiler and push up the air ? into the header tank will this push all the air out of the system?. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is your system " Y " plan or " S " plan ? Did you manually latch open motorised valve before draining ? Rather than connect mains , which you should not do without back flow precautions ,try draining out at low point ,partially, whilst keeping water going into the f&e ( in other words leave the water on to f&e ,so water going into system as you drain ). And try again , bleeding air from rads / pump / and cylinder coil ( assuming there is a vent to the coil ).

Hi my system is a S plan system. No I did not manually latch open the 2 port valve. I was thinking of taking off a small radiator I have downstairs its in a good location so that I can take it off put mains water in one valve side then flush it out on the other valve ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back