Air in pipes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not a central heating question! :)

Cold water tank in loft feeds ground floor bathroom with bath and shower. If you run the bath on full it will drain the hot and cold tank before its full and this means the pipes to the bathroom fill with air. When I go to use the bathroom sink taps they splutter till the air is run out and if you try and use the shower (mechanical thermostatically controlled) it won't run again until the air is cleared.

This is a real pain in the a=hole! :rolleyes:

I understand a larger cold water tank should fix it but would it be possible to either:

Reduce the draw on the bath taps so they fill slower or
Fit some no return valves on the pipework to the bathroom so they don't empty?

Any comments much appreciated!

Cheers!

:D

Sponsored Links
Eh???

Increase the flow into the cistern:
Try cleaning out the float valve, or fitting a new one, try enlarging the hole a little if your pressure's low, try a larger float valve, try adding a flaot valve in parallel.

........But first, check the stopcock(s) on the rising main are fully opened.

Eh???

Increase the flow into the cistern:
Try cleaning out the float valve, or fitting a new one, try enlarging the hole a little if your pressure's low, try a larger float valve, try adding a flaot valve in parallel.

Take it that's a no then :D But how is the air getting in? Isn't there a way to stop it?

I'll do as you suggest: turn the bath on full and go and check if I can get some more flow out the float valve by wiggling it - was planning to replace it for a quieter one but may as well replace the cold water tank at the same time, albeit no necessarily for a bigger one...

Cheers!

:D

Sponsored Links
It's not unknown for the cones in ball valves to get bunged up with bits of grit, rust, limescale etc. carried in with the water feed.

A replacement ball valve would be next on my list. They are only a few quid to buy.

Then an additional valve, as ChrisR suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back