Air in radiator - Pump set too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - We recently had our boiler changed and the pump was moved due to some problems with water circulation at the same time, although there were no issues with water with the old boiler. Since this time the radiator that is the last on the system, this radiator is in a loft bathroom, gets air in it very quickly and needs bleeding nearly daily.

Based on other posts i wonder if since the pump was moved and most likely adjusted is it possible we are now in a situation where the pulp is set too high and its pulling air into the system? I dont think anything is leaking anywhere as i dont hear the header tank fill with water.

I have attached a photo pf the pump as i am unsure how to turn the flow down or in fact what its currently set to.

thanks for any advice

View media item 69959

Sponsored Links
More likely pump position, can you post more pics. Boiler, valves pipework etc.

Absolute mess. Quick way to check if vent is sucking in is to put system on put a glass over water to the open vent. Mess who did that?

twas done by the plumber who works with the builder - kitchen extension was carried out and an old back boiler replaces with a new WB which is in the new kitchen. Will post more pics when i can but what are you looking for?

As an aside we are currently running without a programmer as the old hot water tank seemingly didnt have any motorised valves on it although we could run hot water on its own but if we wanted CH then we had water also, which seemed reasonable to me. The plumber seemed purplexed as to how the old system worked and so to get us running has set the system up so that the pump runs when the boiler is on - not ideal but at this exact moment we dont have the $$ to change the tank for a new one and have the valves installed as the plumber wants £450 to install the new tank and vales, we supply the tank, but i have no idea if thats a reasonable amount or not.

As mentioned what would you like to see but basically the boiler is in an extension on the ground floor about 10 metres away from the pump which is also on the ground floor. The hot water tank is in the airing cupboard on the 1st floor and the radiator filling with air is in the loft along with the header tank.

Thanks for any advice - We are in SW London if that makes any difference to the $$ quoted.

cheers

Sponsored Links
You needn't post any more pictures. Your description alone is enough to assess it's a f*** up. The builder's plumber won't be a plumber but a labourer who is claimed to be a plumber.

not sure about that as it was subbed out - so i think he really was a plumber!

maybe...

All new boilers need pump running when they're on.
Reading between the lines, the system is still piped as the old but with a pump.
I would suspect the plumber is pretty inexperienced if he doesn't know how the (old) system worked.
Pictures of the hot water tank and its piping I think may well tell us something.

will try to get pics tomorrow - the current HW tank is being replaced, hopefully soon, with one thats a bit larger and newer! but also that does not leak, although the leak that appeared on the current tank fixed itself after it formed that lovely layer of crud!

The old system did have a pump, its the same pump in use now, however it only kicked in when the thermostat asked for heat to the radiators.

I am feeling less inclined to get this guy back to fit the new tank now...

You had a semi-gravity system which without any knowledge a labourer has tried to convert to fully pumped. As that person has no idea what that is or how that works, it follows he has no idea how to convert it either.

ok - so..... how do i fix? ie who knows what is was and what it now needs to be!

You're not going to cure this over a forum. You need a central heating engineer on site who can quote you for what's required. You can get schematic diagrams on the web for all the types of system design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back