Air In Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it happens, but how much is normal?
I'm having to let the air out of my upstairs radiators every 2 or 3 days!
Surely that can't be right.
How does the air get in?
Is there anything I can do myself to reduce it or should I get an engineer in?
The heating works perfectly apart from this.

Thanks for reading.
:D

Sponsored Links
Sorry my tarrot cards are playing up....more info please!

Type of system configuration would help, boiler name set up etc etc

As stated some more info on the type of system you have would help achieve a more accurate answer.

It can be air, however if your system is full of corrosion, (is the water dirty?), then some hydrogen can be produced as well. As a guess, for that volume of air it may be possible there is a leak on the suction side of the pump, and air is being pulled into the system.

Sorry if I didn't give enough information.
I'm not sure how much I can give you really as I don't know much about it myself.
I was asking the question to help me decide whether to get someone in to look at it or not.

It's a gas system, I had a new condenser boiler (Icos Ideal) installed 2 years ago, but kept the old radiators from the old system.
I still have a hot water tank upstairs (not sure if that's relevent, but I seem to remember I had the option of having it removed) and I believe there's a header tank in the loft.

Is there anything else you need to know?

Sponsored Links
okey dokey trumbone knickers,

was the system powerflushed before installation of new boiler?

:eek:

Was it what??

Awww c'mon!
I assume you're asking if they cleaned it out when they drained/refilled it, I have no idea to be honest.
Is there some way I (a complete ignoramous) could tell if the radiators are full of %$*)?

So then op, how involved do you want to become in sorting this out?

Like, do you want to learn how to drain the system, add a cleanser as you refill it, leave it run as normal for a few weeks, then flush it thouroughly a few times before refilling it with inhibitor?

Do you want to learn how to take the radiators off and flush them through in the garden with a hose?

Or, what? ;)

be cool bro, take a chill

you are the homeowner and the man who pays the bills

the person who carried out the work, ypu were given the option to remove your hot water cylinder, which you declined.

your installer seems to be well versed in what he does

but before ANY reputable RGI would fit a new A rated boiler into an old system (how old 3 yrs, 13 yrs, 33 yrs?) the system has to be cleaned to BS 7593 2006

either chemical clean or powerflush..............................

or did we get the Polskis in, c`mon give us the full story

I'm the woman who pays the bills.
:cry:

Bought a 1950s ex local authority house 8 years ago which had an apparently decent central heating system already installed.
Boiler packed up in summer 2007, partner arranged for it to be replaced and was present while the work was carried out by an apparently reputable Corgi registered company(I was at work earning the cash to pay for it!).

Am now on my own, and would like to know why I'm having to let 20 seconds worth of air out of my upstairs radiators every other day, and whether there might be a simple way of dealing with it, or should I call someone in.

Judging by the replies. I think I'll just do the latter.

:confused:

As my grandfather was one of the Poles who came to this country to fight under the command of the British Army in WW2, I find your comment totally offensive.

Op, it's not that difficult to have a go at cleaning out the system if you're that way inclined.

If you do go for getting someone in, then just make sure that you get a couple of quotes or so, just to check that the diagnoses will concur somewhat.

Would be very wary of powerflushing though - there are a lot of cowboys out there who will charge the going rate but not do the going work. Try to find recommendatrions.

As my grandfather was one of the Poles who came to this country to fight under the command of the British Army in WW2, I find your comment totally offensive.
As my father was a Pole who was beaten by the nazis in forced labour camps, having been dragged away from his family when he was 15, and was mentally scarred by the horrors that he witnessed, I don't find the comments offensive :rolleyes:

ok sister, we are not here to ridicule or judge

your boiler is 2 yrs old, but the system it is joined to is to a system of pipes, valves and radiators which are of an undeterminable age

old systems produce, collect and create sludge, a cancer to central htg systems

the new,modern, very efficient boilers require a very clean system, hence the chemical clean or powerflush

if it was`nt done at the time of install, you have an old sludgey system with a new boiler, the sludge creates pockets of air(hydrogen gas actually)

you probablt have a slight leak somewhere, which draws in fresh water from make up tank, and also drawing in air

how to resolve???

chemically clean system and if possible locate any leaking fittings or pipework

and i am sure you will understand, that the social climate of the last 5 yrs has seen an influx of migrant workers, many qualified in their own country to work on/in gas. the united kingdom has special criteria to work on gas, many migrant workers did not seek UK updates to their specific gas certification, hence the "Polski" remark to refer to unskilled migrant workers without relevant qualifications

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back