air lock? how do i get rid after installing new radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive just installed x4 new radiators for an extension and teed into the existing return and flow. I think ive got severve air in the system. x1 is hot and bleeds fine, x2 are hot but i can remove the bleed nipple and no water comes out and the another is cold, water bleeds out(cold) but the pipes are getting hot towards it. Ive tried bleeding at the pump as well. When i remove the screw water just drips out. Should it come out with force? can i leave the screw out as i can hear air coming out now and again untill water really starts coming out? The boiler is a back boiler not a combi and all the existing radiatorts worked fine before, thanks for any help cheers Rick

Sponsored Links
Turn off all rads that are getting hot, open rad valves fully until air has been removed and then balance heating system

when you try to bleed the highest radiator in the house, does anything come out?

when you try to bleed the lowest radiator in the house, does anything come out?

How deep is the water in the F&E tank, and how much mud is in it?

Turn off the pump while bleeding.

Sponsored Links
ive just noticed the pipe that comes outside, through the fascia board from the tank/cylinder upstairs has water flowing out??? is this overflow??

I suspect you have a partial blockage. That would explain both the pumping over you describe, and the poor filling. You also have an open-vented back boiler, which suggests an old and dirty system.

Please answer the outstanding questions.

If you can photograph, or describe, the layout of pipes going up to the loft, and where they are in relation to the pump (there will/should be a large and a small pipe - that will also help.

If, when the F&E is overflowing, you go and have a look at it, you will probably find the tank is full to the top, and water is gushing out of the large pipe that is bent in a loop over the F&E tank.

Did you do a chemical clean before fitting the new rads? Pumping over will have aerated the water and started fast corrosion, so it is going to need cleaning out before you refill with fresh water and a chemical corrosion inhibitor.

i asked a plumber friend about my radiators and being unable to bleed them and he said check the small tank upstairs has not run empty. I had a look and it my have been a little lower than it should have been so i pushed the balldown and filled it up. If i overfilled it will it come out of this pipe i described in the last post?

possibly a little. Unlikely to be more than a pint or so.

Have you answered the questions yet, such as how deep the water is in the F&E, the chemical clean, the pipe layout, amd the bleeding pattern?

If not, what do you think are the chances anyone can diagnose your problem?

sorry ill have another look tomorrow, think ill start with turning the pump off. Do you mean turn the electric supply off? isnt it best to bled with the heating on? ive turned the radiators off that are working and bleeding fine and ill check the tank levels

right open vent have you got a three port or two port vavle and are you quick with spanner`s if so
open a nut on the vavle afer the pump and then lock back again before you flood the house

If you were as quick answering questions as you are at asking them, it'd be sorted by now.

You've already been told to turn the pump off.

Come back when you've got the answers, or not at all. Your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back