Central Heating - Do I not have any pressure after radiator change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

My radiators in my home heat up fine apart from one that is close to the airing cupboard upstairs. It is hot at the bottom and cold at the top, so I have to bleed it regularly, which gets it going again, but now when I bleed, no air or water comes out. The top remains cold, the middle and bottom are piping hot. This radiator was recently changed and the issue remains on the new one. I have opened the lockshield and trv fully, and still cannot get water or air to come out of the bleed valve. The rest of the radiators in the home are piping hot all over.

I thought I would have a look in my airing cupboard and I have noticed a pressure gauage that seems to be on 0. Please see images, it says the same when the heating is off too. The needle does not move.

Does this mean there is not enough water in the system? I remember when I changed the old radiator (changed due to sheering off bleed nipple), there was barely any water in it when I removed it.

I am not sure what the problem is? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/gallery/bMmp1s6

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you have let all the pressure out of your system, you need to re-pressurise it

Somewhere, you will have a flexible pipe fitted, which is intended to repressurise your system. You need to add water until the gauge shows around 1.5 with the system cold. You can then bleed your radiator some more, then top the system pressure back up again.

Sponsored Links
You have a sealed pressurised system. The gauge should show a positive pressure of 0.5 bar minimum. Photo 4 has a clue, the tag labelled 'fill'.
Your boiler should be complaining, but that may be due to a malfunction within it.
Open both valves (one at each end of the flexible link) and pressurise up to 1 bar.
Bleed the errant radiator.
Repressurise to 1 bar (system cold)...the pressure will naturally be higher when the system is hot.
Use your fingernail to turn the gauge red pointer to the hot pressure once you know what it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back