Coal fired central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old coal fired central heating system. My bathroom radiator is hot at the bottom but cold at the top. Have tried bleeding the radiator, and some air came out, but no water. Do I have to add water to the system - and does anyone know how?

Sponsored Links
I have an old coal fired central heating system. My bathroom radiator is hot at the bottom but cold at the top. Have tried bleeding the radiator, and some air came out, but no water. Do I have to add water to the system - and does anyone know how?

A blockage seems the only reason why a radiator would not fill and bleed out through the bleed hole. Unless both radiator valves are closed or the bleed hole has become blocked.
There will be a water cistern/tank and adding water to the system is automatic.

I'd be tempted to remove radiator in order to check the flow from each of the radiator valves

Have you tried bleeding the air with the central heating turned off and the boiler in slumber mode?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back