Coal fire back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have recently moved into an old cottage which has an oil central heating system and a back boiler on the coal fire. we have rusty water from the hot tap, can you tell if is it from the hot water cylinder or the back boiler? can we remove or disable the back boiler if thats causing the problem?

Sponsored Links
The back boiler should be heating your domestic water (the stuff that comes out of the taps) indirectly using a coil inside a hot water cylinder. The rusty water could be from a couple of sources.

Firstly, you probably have a storage tank in the loft which feeds the cylinder - you should have two or three tanks up there ignore the small ones it will be the feed and expansion for the back boiler and possibly another for the oil fired boiler. If the larger tank is of galvanised steel it may have lost its protection internally and is rusting.

Secondly, if your hot water distribution pipework is galvanised steel the rust could be from there.

All the above assumes that your cold water is clear - if not then the source is probably from the incoming supply - either a pipe section or a cast iron valve somewhere upstream.

You may find that with use, the water gradually clears. Unless you drink the stuff it won't do you much harm, but if you want too do something about it you will need to cost for replacement once you have identified the source.

Good luck.

How many pipes connect to your hot water cylinder, and where do they connect?

Sponsored Links
i've had a look at the cylinder and it has 2 pipes at one side, one near the bottom and the second about a quarter of the way up, these both disappear under the bathroom floor. there are another 2 pipes to the front, one near the bottom which again goes into the floor and another half way up the tank which connects to a pipe running from floor to ceiling.

the oil fired boiler and pipes coming from the back boiler are both in the room below the bathroom

i've already been up into the loft to rule out the galvanized tank, but now know i've probably only found the back boiler expansion tank as it was tiny (18x12x12). didn't know i had a back boiler until i lit the coal fire for the first time this week! because its an old cottage the roof space is small and i can't actually see into the space above the bathroom because of the shape of the eves. if there is another tank up there i need to make a new hatch from the bathroom to get to it.

i could be wrong but by your description in sounds like a fortic combined cylinder and head tank are there any markings on the cylinder ?

can't find any markings... if you mean manufacturer or spec label etc
but i did see another pipe - directly into the top of the cylinder

simple when you know how.. although couldn't get it the right way up, sorry!

cylinder.jpg

all looks fairly standard seen this before pipes are from bottom to top or left to right

1 against the timer flow from boiler and expansion pipe
2hot water out and expansion pipe
3cold water feed to head tanks (in loft)
4/5 cold feed to cylinder/boiler
you must have another tank somewere in the loft :D

if we find the other tank in the loft and its plastic, how do we know whats making the hot water rusty?
do we replace the cylinder, and then if it's still there think maybe its the back boiler and have that capped? i don't fancy having to pull the fireplace to bits to get it out.

or just do nothing .. have showers , and don't run a full bath to get to the rusty water?? :rolleyes:

good point if you find the other tank i wouldnt think it will be plastic if you need to disconnect the back boiler using the fire is out without removing it

very difficult to make a jugment via the web :LOL:

if you follow the pipe 2 in my list it should lead you to the tank(hpoefully) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back