Gurgling heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My heating system is gurgling rather loudly, suggesting it's got a large amount of air in it. I've been bleeding the radiators religiously and recently also installed automatic bleed valves (like these https://www.easyfitisolator.com/aladdin-autovents). However, the system remains noisy.

I'm now wondering whether there is a design flaw in my radiators (http://www.reinadesign.co.uk/radiator/flat-horizontal/) where the air cannot move from the bottom to the top of the radiator where I can bleed it. I've attached a photo of the bottom of the radiator next to the lockshield valve. It looks like air can only escape from the bottom pipe when it is half full with air because the connection of the panels is on the side of the bottom pipe. Of course that would mean air can remain in the system.

Is this a common or known problem or is my heating system just driving me mad?

All the best,
Peter

Attachments

• AA687D1D-C34B-42D5-9F0E-A5735B00ED20_1_105_c.jpeg
    AA687D1D-C34B-42D5-9F0E-A5735B00ED20_1_105_c.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
post pics of the top of your radiators, that is not a bleed point that you have posted

Hi ianmcd, thanks for the reply! Yep, the bleed point is at the top of the radiator, however I think the welding arrangement at the bottom could perhaps be causing air to get trapped inside. In the photo I've attached, you can see that the lower horizontal pipe is only linked to the vertical components at its midpoint. So any air that is above that connection would not be able to escape to the top of the radiator where it could be bled out. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• AA687D1D-C34B-42D5-9F0E-A5735B00ED20_1_105_c.jpeg
    AA687D1D-C34B-42D5-9F0E-A5735B00ED20_1_105_c.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 100

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back