air lock in hw pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
torned on hw from a two week holiday after turning off before i left to find a alot of banging and gurgling noises coming from hw cylinder and other pipes i know its air but what is the best way to get it out and is it a good idea to turn off when going on hoilday
thanks

Sponsored Links
more to the point where's all the air come from, unless you have a leak the water would have just sat in the cylinder and waited for you to come home

hmmmmm.sounds more like your boiler stat or cylinder stat is faulty. due to the water kettling. check them out. :idea:

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies guys,
before i went away i turned off stop cock came back turned on hw at programmer my wife put some washing on a couple of hours later i start hearing banging/knocking sounds from airing cupboard plus gurgling noises making me think there has got to be air in the system.
then checked stop cock and found that i had forgot to turn on :eek:
so i did that but no when i turn the ch on the pump does not work(no hot water going round all the radiators.
i'm thinking now its all my thought any suggestions thanx(new pump?)

loosen the screw marked bleed first and make sure it's not stuck
screwdriver slot on the shaft

p2493710_l.jpg

tried that thanks mine had a nut head then i turned on hw the shaft started spinning then turned off it hw after a few mintes it shut off but have turn on hw again and no movement from shaft anymore

and there is terrible banging knocking sound around the pump like as if something is loose

not sure what you mean in all respect but the boiler is a potterton suprema 40 with a 3zone myson mpe322 and a myson compact cp53 pump thanks again for your replies
when i turn hw prog on then boiler fires up a few minutes a gurgling sound is heard from boiler which then travels up to airing cupboard and theres is alot of noise and the pipes vibrate around and in the pump and zone vavle it all seems weird to me is it the pump on its way out or have i got air in te system somewhere?

have a look for a bleed point near the cylinder

have you bled the pump :?:

is the pump running :?:

not unknown for the impellel to fall off the shaft in the pump

neilski wrote:
tried that thanks mine had a nut head then i turned on hw the shaft started spinning then turned off it hw after a few mintes it shut off but have turn on hw again and no movement from shaft anymore

and that sounds electrical

pump does not run will check wiring to make sure nothing is loose from blocks yes there is a bleed pipe at bottom of cylinder as for pump you mean isolate pump by closing off vavles then try bleeding pump again
sorry i sound so long winded

also sounds like the kettle warming up before the boil from boiler is that normal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back