Air lock or Balencing Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a Vokera Combi boiler. I've recently replaced one of the ground floor radiators for a column radiator (the 4th one I've done in the last 2 years as we've gradually decorated the house). This meant draining down and re-soldering small section of the pipework. The other occasions I haven't had a problem. The new radiator works perfectly, but the radiator (another column radiator) which I believe is the next in line after the new one is cold at the top and warm at the bottom. The radiator which I think is the one after the cold one is fine. I've tried bleeding it, but just get water out. I've tried turning all the other radiators off in the house and leaving the cold one on, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone have any suggestions? Can you get an air lock in the radiator itself? Does it sound like the radiators need balencing? It does appear that all the lockshield valves in the house are wound right out to the maximum.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
lizzy said:
Does it sound like the radiators need balencing?

Yes.

lizzy said:
It does appear that all the lockshield valves in the house are wound right out to the maximum.

Sounds like the culprit to me ;)

If you really did turn off ALL the other rads and the one reminaing one STILL stayed cold - balancing may still be needed (must be if all the lockshields are fully open!) - but there must be something else adrift. Airlock in pipes near to rad? Mistake in the pipework, so that the circuit between flow and return is not complete?

What did the boiler do when you tried switching off the other rads? Fire up for (say) 30 seconds, then sit there sulking?

Sponsored Links
croydencorgi,

The boiler fired up and continued running as normal. We got a bit of 'gurgling' from 1/2 cold radiator.

Update.

I balenced the system and it didn't help the problem. I decided to drain the offending radiator. I'm thinking the problem was some kind of airlock in the radiator. While the water was draining out of the bottom, I opened the bleed valve at the top and was still getting water out of the top. I had to drain all the water (from the top & bottom!?). Refilling then solved the problem! All sorted now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back