Air Source Heat Pump - do you own one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone here own an air source heat pump? If so, what size is it and could you please outline roughly how much more you pay in electrical energy costs since you had it installed?

Sponsored Links
They are still rare in the grand scheme. My late mum had one, unsure of size but seemed expensive to run and performance was poor as was reliability. I was speaking to a heating engineer who works for a manufacturer of boilers and heat source unit development. He said they are still not really suitable as yet, lots of development under way so expects they will be a few years away yet.

Apparently:

For new builds, great.
For old builds, not so much

Sponsored Links
Skill builder doesn't think much about heat pumps.

Much of his "ugly truth" isn't actually true though.

Apparently:

For new builds, great.
For old builds, not so much
Not so. I've got a customer with one working very nicely in a Tudor cottage which was built in 1528. My own 11kW one is heating my 1970s ex council house very well too, and running costs are lower than the gas boiler it replaced.

It's important to remember that heat pumps are not new technology. They've been used successfully in Scandinavia and Europe for 40 years...

Much of his "ugly truth" isn't actually true though.

Not so. I've got a customer with one working very nicely in a Tudor cottage which was built in 1528. My own 11kW one is heating my 1970s ex council house very well too, and running costs are lower than the gas boiler it replaced.

It's important to remember that heat pumps are not new technology. They've been used successfully in Scandinavia and Europe for 40 years...

I've seen all of those vids before. By seen, i mean watched and listened and whilst there is some disagreements around the edges, the points in the skill builders vid are valid.

Much like my comment.

The best install for heat pumps is one where it's built into the design.

For old buildings, this is hard to do and in some cases impossible or uneconomical.

You can if course, twist any age of building to work with heat pumps but sometimes the efforts are not worth the savings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back