Air Source Heat Pumps - Are they noisy?

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I would love to go and listen to some but I live in Shetland and I haven't tracked any down yet.

As Corgigrouch says, decibel figures don't mean a lot so comparisons such as "It's about the same level of noise as a typical boiler flue" are exactly the sort of thing that I am after.

Has anybody who has got one had any comments from their neighbours?

Sponsored Links
Hello
I recently spent some weeks doing alterations to a house that had ASHP fitted I think it was a Mitsubishi unit, I never really noticed the noise as being intrusive, similar to a large desk fan on full speed, double glazing kept what noise there was out and if it was warm enough to sit in the garden next to it, it would not be on anyway, the client said his electric bills were more than halved compared to storage rads. Hope this post is of some use, I'll leave the others to their squabble!!

When I first installed mine, I told my neighbour that if it bothered him, then I would move it to the back of the house, but he has never even noticed it running...

If you want multiple units, then I would recommend several seperate units rather than one condenser and several indoor units as they are a pain to operate if there are a number of you in the house and have a good quality unit too.. Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Sanyo, Daikin.. and avoid ebay specials or stuff that says "Powered by Toshiba" or the like... the compressors may be good but the rest will suck

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I am only looking at putting one unit in from which I hope to do all my underfloor heating and most of the hot water.

What make did you go for, Corgigrouch?

All of my heat pumps are air to air units, I have an old LG artcool mirror in the living room, a little Toshiba RAS 10 in the dining room and a Sanyo ducted unit in the loft for the bedrooms... I have been working on my house for some years and the mix of units reflect what I have been installing over the years... When it comes to air to water, I have thrown my hat in with Sanyo CO2 ECO which doesn't use conventional refrigerant but uses Carbon Dioxide instead... Giving a genuine 65C water temperature and an ambient operating temperature of -25C... Oh and I was quite surprised that it had a noise output of only 49Decibels... All I knew was that it is quiet..

Hi,

An air source heat pump makes only a little more noise than a large fridge freezer, so they're not that loud.

Thanks for that, 6years after the question was asked.

Welcome, you'd be a salesman at a guess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back