Air Source Heat Pumps - Are they noisy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a question for anybody who has or who lives next door to an air source heat pump.

How noisy are they?

I live in a fairly quiet rural area and I am thinking about installing an ASHP. I am wondering whether I need to go for an indoor mounted unit because an outdoor unit would be too noisy.

Anybody got any experience of this?

Sponsored Links
This is a question for anybody who has or who lives next door to an air source heat pump.

How noisy are they?

I live in a fairly quiet rural area and I am thinking about installing an ASHP. I am wondering whether I need to go for an indoor mounted unit because an outdoor unit would be too noisy.

Anybody got any experience of this?

Climatherm do them, best getting advice from the Manufacturer.

Disadvantages of air source heat pumps

Usually marketed as low energy or a sustainable technology, the refrigerant used in the heat pump system does have the potential to contribute to global warming. The effect the refrigerant could have is measured in global warming potential (GWP) and ozone depletion potential (ODP).
Air source heat pumps require electricity for operation. Electricity generation accounts for nearly 40 percent of emissions pollutants and greenhouse gases in the United States.
External space needs to be found for the outside condenser unit which can be somewhat noisy and unsightly. Heat pumps lose their efficiency as external temperatures fall. In colder climates the system needs to be installed with an auxiliary source of heat to providing heat at low temperatures or if the heat pump should require repair.
The COP is vastly reduced when heat pumps are used to reach over 50°C for heating domestic water or in conventional central heating systems.
Retrofit is difficult when used with conventional heating systems using radiators or radiant panels. The lower Heat Pump output temperatures would mean radiators would have to be vastly increased in size or a low temperature underfloor heating system is installed instead.

Wop a combi in! :eek: :LOL:

If the unit will be used for cooling also, I really wouldn't recommend that it was sited indoors. Having said that, the newer inverter systems are very quiet indeed, unless your neighbours have ears like a bat, then they will be unlikely to hear it, certainly they are quieter than the noise that comes from my fan flued boiler..

Older "Fixed speed" condenser units are a little noisier on initial start up as they use a capacitor to start the compressor so they do start with a bit of a "Thunk" but otherwise are pretty quiet too... I have an old LG fixed speed unit (One of the less desirable of all the big brands) sitting between my house and my neighbours house wit the driveways inbetween, and he has no problems at all... My Toshiba inverter is noticably quieter

Sponsored Links
If all else fails wait for me to cut and paste then you will always be guaranteed an answer on a question that would probably be ignored. Heh, heh, :D ;) Fame can be tiresome, but at least I am helping the `little` people. Gotta give something back dontcha?...

most units are rated at around 40-60db for general use. the better the quieter, shouldn't be overly intrusive.
notice the troll didn't actually answer the question :rolleyes:

I would be very surprised at any unit giving less than 50 dBA at 1 m !

I would also be surprised if anyone else on this forum has ever measured the noise level created at the flue of a gas boiler. Most manufacturers do not even have figures to quote.

Tony

Let the debate commence, surely I should be paid a commission? :eek: ;)

The problem with quoting decibel figures is that very few understand how loud or quiet 50 decibels are and they don't increase in a linear fasion.. so the best I can suggest is that you go round and listen to some and make up your mind... I have a unit mounted on a rig to show my customers..

Both the heat pump and Flue for my worcester greenstar 30Si are on the same wall and there is noticably more noise from the flue

The problem with quoting decibel figures is that very few understand how loud or quiet 50 decibels are and they don't increase in a linear fasion.. so the best I can suggest is that you go round and listen to some and make up your mind...

i would agree, but can't think of any other way of explaining, as with most noises some people find noises annoying that others don't, depending on pitch etc.. just thought it would give a general idea for comparison for someone who might not have any idea of how loud one might be.

I would be very surprised at any unit giving less than 50 dBA at 1 m !

the smallest ecodan is (according to the manufacturer) 40db at optimum conditions for low noise level. so thats where i got the minimum from, albeit "absolute". 50-60 is generally accepted for most good makes.

FFS! contact the manufacturer who will send out a rep, possibly have a DVD for you to watch forget all the drivel above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back