air source heat pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm considering one of these as a long term heating solution (our estate has no gas and storage heaters are not for me). Was thinking maybe something like this:-

http://www.heatart.co.uk/heat-pumps/worcester-greensource-6kw-air-air-heat-pump.html

Has anyone used something similar to this to heat their home, or have recommendations for any particular model of pump? Any problems? I'm in a one bedroom ground floor flat (also have flats either side, the pump would have to go on the rear wall which is South facing).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They work really well but I just can't bring myself to like the Worcester. I have fitted loads of them and they feel cheap and nasty. I fit Sanyo, Toshiba and Fujitsu and they just feel better with less funny noises

I have an old LG Artcool in my lounge and a Toshiba RAS in my bedroom even in this weather they still produce plenty of heat but these units are strictly for one room. Take the output with a pinch of salt as you won't get the full rated output as the temperatures dip so don't expect that unit to give you what the manufacturers state at the temperatures that we have at the moment. Also avoid multisplit units (One outdoor unit and several indoor units) as they are far to complicated for the British public to understand. Add to that if one unit develops a fault then all of your heating goes down.... Really, just dont!

I fit Sanyo, Toshiba and Fujitsu and they just feel better with less funny noises
Do you know Amcor HW12EZ? as I've seen these on special offer at £350. (Supposedly Toshiba powered.)

Avoid anything that says "Powered by" The compressor may well be a Tosh or Tosh design but the rest is cheap junk and You'll never find parts or tech back up... Stick to the main brands

Sponsored Links
Hi. I was thinking about multisplit units actually....I have a ground floor flat with hall, lounge, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. I'm not sure how I'd heat it all (about 46m2 floor area) with just one unit without splitting it into several indoor ones?

I suppose I could install just one unit for the lounge and one for the bedroom, but that means two outdoor units...not sure I'd be able to get planning for two. Running two units might also be more expensive? Not very sure on that...same energy is required to heat the same amount of air I guess. Does anyone happen to know if you need planning for the single unit models (where you mount it inside and just duct to outside?).

Tom

Why don't you put in an air/water and a few large rads?

Mitsubishi Ecodan is good in our experience and there are some very generous CERT rebates on offer at the moment.

It's also something I'm sort of looking at. At the moment I only run the immersion for an hour a day which isn't too bad, so wasn't really looking to replace it. Plus there's no pipework for radiators...it's partly a cost thing. If I can find a decent system for maybe 3 or 4K with full installation/delivery inc I might consider it....but these things ain't cheap. The rebate sounds good but would probably only be a couple of hundred quid as it's a small flat...

Why don't you put in an air/water and a few large rads?

Mitsubishi Ecodan is good in our experience and there are some very generous CERT rebates on offer at the moment.

Are they decent once Mitsubishi have carried out their worldwide product recall because some of them go Eco BANG.

Air to water, google Eco cute before buying any hfc airsource unit.

Have a look at Daikin Altherma its availible as a monoblock or Split system with the Ref to water heat exchanger monted on the wall indoors the outdoor unit on a split Air/Water heat pump is MUCH smaller than a monoblock like the Ecoboom! ;)

Have a look at Daikin Altherma its availible as a monoblock or Split system with the Ref to water heat exchanger monted on the wall indoors the outdoor unit on a split Air/Water heat pump is MUCH smaller than a monoblock like the Ecoboom! ;)

But it's a hfc unit That uses 410a which doesn't work below 7degc,so in the weather we've just had you'd be running it on Elec only making storage heaters better value for money.

Hi. I was thinking about multisplit units actually....I have a ground floor flat with hall, lounge, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. I'm not sure how I'd heat it all (about 46m2 floor area) with just one unit without splitting it into several indoor ones?

Tom

If you have loft space you could have a ducted unit fitted to heat and cool all areas evenly. Alternatively you could fit multiple indoor units to one large outdoor unit, less pipework to run and but all indoor unit run simultaniously... Units with an output of upto around 16kW are available in single phase....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back