Air Source or Ground Source Heat Pump

On what basis does RHI pay out, is it based on expected energy usage for the size of property when the initial assessment as done or actual consumption after the heat pump is installed?

I ask only because if you have a large house but we are only using the pump to heat the usable areas, can we profit from this RHI scheme?

Also to maximise the payment received is it better to have a less insulated home before installation and then insulate better afterwards?

I recently installed a wood burning stove in our living room for decorative and heat but it hardly gets used. Does this disqualify me from being about to claim RHI?

Sponsored Links
The question is however, is it allowed. Having it is one thing and not declaring it is another.

The question is however, is it allowed. Having it is one thing and not declaring it is another.
I declared a single wood burning stoke of less than 5kw. You will be asked to confirm things like this so you must be honest or it is fraud. The grant is based on predicted energy use not actual and you may be advised to carry out simple energy saving work such as loft insulation. You will get a higher grant if your house has features that are not easily resolved, such a solid walls. A recent EPC will also need to be carried out but most installer will normally arrange this and, quite often sort out the grant application too. My installer did it for me, with me just typing in personal details etc and it took about ten minutes and was confirmed immediately with .Gov having my bank account details to be able to pay into.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking therefore, the less insulated your home, the more grant you get? Even if you are asked to bring the house insulation up to a min standard, you are better off not better insulating the home to a super duper standard until after the head pump installation, so as to get the highest possible grant?

Am I right in thinking therefore, the less insulated your home, the more grant you get? Even if you are asked to bring the house insulation up to a min standard, you are better off not better insulating the home to a super duper standard until after the head pump installation, so as to get the highest possible grant?
I was told that you are expected to carry out simple jobs such as loft insulation, however I don't think there was any mention of this in the questionnaire. You are correct that if the EPC then still shows a poorer rating, a higher payment will be given. I think the rate is not quite as good for new applications as it was though, my mother in law gets around £30 per quarter less than I do.
Try this to get a rough idea.....
https://renewable-heat-calculator.service.gov.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back