Air testing Pipework.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always made it a point to fill any new combi central heating system with air prior to letting any water into it just to check those hard to get at solder joints. I have until now used one that was bought from a Car Spares Supermarket (you can guess the one) but it has now given up the ghost due to being continually flooded with water. I have also used the double barrelled footpump method but don't want to go back to that (Lazy I know).
How do you pressure test your pipes prior to the first fill?
Appreciate any replies.
Stuart

Sponsored Links
rothenberger rp50 for pressure testing central heating and water pipe work but thats not an air test. Gas pipe work i use a ragin piece of kit when air testing this.

What is an rp 50 ? Is that the pressure gauge with a schroeder valve ?, if so that is what I use connected to the tyre air pump.
I do like to pressure test all the central heating pipework and the new hot and cold water pipework before running them up but want to buy a more substancial piece of kit to not have to worry about flooding it with dirty flux filled water.
Any advice?

Rp50 is a rothenberger container thta you fill with water connect to your pipework and then pump in using the handle supplied and check the pressure with the built in guage(usually fill to twice working pressure). Great for filling underfloor pipework before screeding and i now use mine for filling solar install with glycol.
everyone must have encounted a joint thats not soldered but if you've got your drains where they should be on all drops then re soldering wont be an issue, at least when using water to test you can easily see where your leaks (if any) are.

Sponsored Links
Yes I know the rp 50 now. I have seen it many times. I will have to put the £250 on my next couple of big jobs to cover the expense.
Thanks for your help.
Stuart

stulew said:
I have always made it a point to fill any new combi central heating system with air ...................

Anyone pressure testing water or heating pipework with air is an incompetent halfwit tool and is unfit to be left in charge of a bucket of water unless wearing a lifejacket.

I'd chuck them off the site and chuck their amateur lashed up Halfords footpump after them.

Yes, you can do it safely if you take the appropriate precautions; these involve evacuating the site/building.

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=25&threadID=31460&messageID=305354#305354

Anyone like to disagree?

Anyone like to disagree who has knowledge of compressed air failures?

Doesn't it inspire confidence?

Depends exactly what you mean by "Pressure" testing.
If you've forgotten to do up a compression fitting you can't get any air pressure into the system and you hear the hiss. Half a bar or so will show most big things and is unlikely to be dangerous - though I accept, "unlikely" may not be good enough in some situations.

Unsoldered joints can hold a lot of cold pressure of course, but with a big system it's nice to reduce the chance of a flood.
Tiny leaks don't show well on air anyway.

I have pumped a sytem up to a few bar, and prodded a pushfit cap off. From the drop to the dent on the opposite wall, worked out it was doing about 40mph. :mad:

In one of my previous lives I used to be a Fitter. Part of the remit was to fit Pneumatic systems so I've seen Compressed Air Failure... It can rip through steel never mind flesh and bone!!! You learn to respect it or it bites you :eek:

Its probably a confidence thing with you stulew (which I can appreciate) but just be bl**dy careful with compressed air mate.

I think your comments are a little bit strong Onetap but I can understand your thought.

Blasphemous said:
In one of my previous lives I used to be a Fitter........so I've seen Compressed Air Failure... It can rip through steel never mind flesh and bone!!! .

In one of my previous lives, I was a first aid instructor.

Blasphemous said:
I think your comments are a little bit strong Onetap but I can understand your thought.

A bit strong? :eek:
Restrained, I think.

In my previous plumbing life I never used to test :eek: and I`m now a bag of nerves :cry: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back