Air compressor to test pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

Can anyone recommend a half decent 110 volt air compressor or similar tool for testing copper pipework before filling. I used to have a mechanics compressor but it was a bit bulky to be lugging around jobs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use water and a test bucket. Never use air.
Apart from the danger air has a greater chance of failing to locate unsound soldered joints.

Thanks Dizz,

But this and a footpump is already our current method. When we are doing a full house install we sometimes have to test the pipework 10 to 15 times in the duration of the contract (when builder wants to close walls, put down floorboards etc) and pumping it all up by foot over and over again just wastes time. A couple of hundred quid on a compresser which will pump it up in seconds will pay for itself in no time.

Sponsored Links
To be honest norcon, I've always thought that by the time you use water and a test bucket you may aswell just fill it up. Also you then end up with water in pipework drops etc which you then need to get out before you can work of them again.

You're right about unsoldered joints though.

The lower section of your pipe work should have a drain off facility and other drops that you work from are simply drained when you cut the pipe. Simples...

Air in the pipes? I wonder what HSE would have to say when a fitting or pipe section comes off the carcse and takes someone's head off.

Air in the pipes pumped up to 3 bar? Water in the pipes up to 3 bar? What's the difference?

I prefer a wet test. I think Rothenburger do an electrically powered test bucket... but it will cost.

If you do an air test the air temperature has to be taken into consideration. I did an air test twice recently... once filled warm afternooon and the pressure had halved over night as the morning was chilly...

and likewise the pressure rose when I pumped with cold air and left throughout the day...

I decided to be done with it and do a wet test... all ok and pressure fluctuated very little.

Air in the pipes pumped up to 3 bar? Water in the pipes up to 3 bar? What's the difference?
The difference is air is elastic, and water isn't.

In a hydraulic test, if a component fails, a little bit of water leaks out, and the pressure almost instantly drops to zero.

In a pneumatic test, the air expands as the pressure drops. If the pressure is 3 Bar, then about three times the volume of the system's worth of air escapes, possibly taking the failed component with it just as if it is been shot out of an air rifle.

nothing wrong with sticking a bar or so in to see you havnt left a silly open end anywhere. but if you want bonafide testing thats reliable it has to be wet testing with a bucket pump.

Can anyone recommend a half decent 110 volt air compressor or similar tool for testing copper pipework before filling. I used to have a mechanics compressor but it was a bit bulky to be lugging around jobs.

Oh, Lordy! :rolleyes:
Another one.

I dont know if any of you guys remember me asking a very simple question at the start of this thread? Since that post there have been 13 further posts, however not one of them has nearly answered my question.

Anyone?

:idea: Because what you are wanting to do is potentially dangerous
contact the HSE and ask what they recommend for pressure testing they will say WATER which is what 90% of the replies to your post have told you - do you think this is the right answer? (yes) if no then you are an idiot! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back