Air Compressor.....which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
One more thing, this will be stationary in the garage. (even though it has wheels)

Andy

They are all pretty similar Andy and they will all power the majority of air tools, although if you are using a high air demand tool such as a needle descaler the air tank will empty pretty quickly.
It's usually best to specify cast iron pumps rather than alloy ones if you can - these will last longer.
All will need to be hard wired.
Most compressors like these have two air outlets - bear in mind only one is regulated, the other may be at tank pressure, if that's an issue.
If you choose a Machine Mart item, they often have VAT free events which is worth considering......I could have saved a ton when I had to replace my 16 year old compressor.
John :)

Friend bought a trolley jack from SGS. It was defective and he had no end of trouble getting it sorted. They seem to have a fair few negative reviews.

Sponsored Links
Hi John, many thanks for your answer.

What compressor do you recommend that has a cast iron pump and comes with a plug that I can just plug in?

Many Thanks Dave, the last thing I want is hassle if there is a problem.

Andy

Depends what you want to do with it, but it could be more than you need and an £80 quid job from Aldi might be fine (longevity is the thing).

Burnerman's note about 3HP (2.3kW) compressor needing to be hardwired is incorrect. I have a 3HP belt driven unit from Machine Mart, and it has a moulded 13 Amp plug. You would want to make sure your ring final is adequate though.

Also, you can easily add regulated/unregulated outlets with a mini regulator, a Y-piece and a pair of PCL connectors, easy. You could easily add an oiler in the same way - and use the main handle and pair of U-bolts as a mount.

Nozzle

I would look for a belt driven one, I think they're supposed to be more reliable?
At the very least they're quieter and have a nicer sound

Last edited:
I've just replaced my 17 year old parallel twin belt driven compressor (Machine Mart) with its current replacement - an XEPV16, whatever that means - again by Machine Mart.
I replaced it because the cylinder head cracked (hell of a bang) and as I can't be sure what state the air tank was in I thought it best if it went the journey.
The new one is a V twin, belt drive, same output (15 cfm), twin taps and so on. It cost £510 all in.
Apart from being noisier than the old one, it has more air power. I think this is due to corrosion building up within the internals, especially the output valves. There was no cylinder wear at all, and the reed valves inside the head were perfectly ok. I'd changed the oil twice since I bought it and used one air filter.
The instruction leaflet suggested that a suitable fuse rating was 30 amp, single phase direct on line so that's why I hard wired it.....presumably the start current is significantly higher than the running current.

What work on your van and what tools do you intend to use? Check out the free air rating and CFM of the tools you want to use. Keep in mind the manufacturers quote the very best their compressor will perform, rather than sustained. Unless you need to move it about, then buying one with a larger receiver can go someway to hiding a poorer performing pump/motor combo.

Nozzle

John - Is your one the 50 litre with wheels or 100 litre, no wheels?

Nozzle - I am the type of person to always buy a tool that is beyond the limits I need, I like the extra power.
I do all (most) of the maintenance work on my van, car and sons car.

Andy

Due to space restrictions, mine is the 50 litre machine, with wheels....ideally I'd go for a 150 litre tank but that's the way it is. It powers my air tools well enough.
When I did mobile work, I'd use a propane cylinder charged up at home and this worked very well - for a time!
Mind you, for an impact wrench I'd be looking at a heavy duty battery machine I think - they seem to be more popular than ever.

Update, I've ordered a new compressor which I am picking up on Wednesday. I spent quite a while in Machine Mart and I am getting the same machine as you John. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I looked at some lesser models and was told that these are rarely sold. Now to look at some air tools.

Andy

I hope it works well for you Andy! I only have a cheapo Machine Mart air wrench so I can't compare it with a more expensive one. A needle descaler has proved great when battling with the old dumper and a good blow gun has been invaluable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back