Air to air heat pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking at installing a air con unit in my house, not for cooling but for heating. I'm told that with modern inverter driven air con in heating mod you get a very effiencent heating device ie around 1kw in and 3+ kw out.
Has anyone else done this at home

Sponsored Links
Heat pumps work on the same principle as a fridge. In the summer the evaporator inside gets colder and the condenser fins outside radiate the heat that has been removed from the inside. Simple.

In the winter the process is reversed, with the inside getting warmer and the outside colder.

Because the system is only transferring heat from one place to another, the heat is already there, so the only power consumption is by the motor driven compressor that moves it around, (hence the name 'heat pump') and the fans that push air through the condenser and evaporator.

I don't have one at home, but I do in my office. The figure of 1kw producing 3kw of heat may be achievable under perfect conditions, but will vary according to the ambient temperature. I find that efficiency falls when the outside temperature drops to near zero or below as there is less heat in the air to transfer. It did maintain 21 degrees in the recent very cold spell, but had to be left on for 24 hours to do so. If it was switched off overnight, the temperature had dropped to 16 degrees by the morning and took until mid afternoon to get back to 21.

Part of the problem in the winter is that the air emitted from the outside unit colder than the ambient and so the outdoor unit can ice up even when the outdoor temperature is above zero. The unit automatically defrosts when this happens, but no heat is produced whilst this is in progress.

Ground source heat pumps don't suffer from this problem as the ground temperature at the depth the coils are buried always remains above freezing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back