Air tool fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an air compressor which I have been using for tyre inflation for a couple of years. I just recently bought an impact wrench to use with it and have decided to use some quick release fittings for both this and my tyre inflater. My first question is does the quick release mechanism attach to my air hose then the quick release "plugs" go onto the tools or is it the other way around?
My next question is, is it ok to attach a quick release coupling directly to the impact wrench? Someone told me I should put a short section of air hose between the rattle gun and the quick release coupling (something to do with vibrations).

Sponsored Links
hi, on all tools ive seen the male end is on the tool and the female quick release end is on the hose ot compressor

hope this helps :)

The quick release female collars go on to the hose, not the tool.
and the male connectors on to the tool.
Not sure about the vibration, we have all our are tools fitted with the male stud, straight to it. That is how the tools arrive, so I presume that is how it should be.
But willing to hear others opinions and thoughts.

Thanks, thats what I thought about the male/female parts of the quick release coupling. On doing more research the short section of air hose I was talking about it referred to as a whip hose.

Sponsored Links
mini oiler is a good idea
APOWERLARGE22317_4255.jpg

never bother with a whip hose

Just a few tips, hopefully....
Use a hose with the biggest internal diameter possible to drive windy guns; (10 mm)
Don't use Machine Mart hose (perishes within a year);
Don't bother with a whip hose;
Oil the tools regularly. (I found an in line oiler would empty in minutes, so I just squirt some air line oil in through the tool air inlet).
John :)

On some of my tools I've used a whip hose - not so much due to vibration but to make the tool easier to use. The length of a typical fitting (such as a PCL which seems the most common) is considerable, and if your main hose is thick and heavy then you've a long fitting and then a stiff heavy hose.

By using a hose barb (male thread for tool, barb for hose), a short length of hose, and a male fitting with hose barb - the tool can be a lot easier to use. It also helps if you use those small crimp on rings (the sort where you pinch the ears to tighten them) rather than a worm drive clip as they stick out less and so are less likely to catch on things.

A secondary reason is that I had a few hose barb-male connector fittings but ran out of threaded male fittings :rolleyes:

It also reduces the strain on the main hose end. When my mate ran a vehicle repair workshop, he used to get through hoses quite quickly - usually because the end 6" would fail and it kept getting a bit shorter every so often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back