Compressor & Impact Wrench questions

The air pressure is completely adequate and always was......the air hose needs to supply a significant volume of air which a small diameter hose just won't do.
I thought I'd mentioned using a 10mm bore hose, or are you saying it needs bigger still? I must admit I'mreally struggling to see how a restricted air supply could give the symptoms I've described. Remember - works perfectly forwards, but reluctant to hammer backwards. I can even feel that by hand spinning the tool freely if I grip the socket in forwards it starts hammering, grip it in reverse it sometimes (less often now) just stops with no hammering at all. How could restricted air flow have that effect

Sponsored Links
For sure, 10mm hose is adequate, so long as your connectors are 1/4 BSP or larger.....keep the hose length as short as practicable for best performance.
Anyway, I remember my own first air wrench (Machine Mart) was hopeless when it was new, but loosened up well enough after a while.....it was always better at tightening than undoing nuts and still is! If I don't operate the forward / reverse plunger firmly all I get is a hiss of air- not a great blast but nothing else happens.
Did the vanes slide freely in the rotor when you pulled it apart?
Can you get hold of another wrench to try on your system.....no other way to go, really! You would hope the thing had been tested in the factory though.
Best of luck with it
John :)

That really sounds as though the gun itself is faulty.They should work the same in forward as reverse,no matter what pressure or volume of air is being supplied.

Sponsored Links
That really sounds as though the gun itself is faulty.They should work the same in forward as reverse,no matter what pressure or volume of air is being supplied.
I pretty much came to that conclusion as soon as I found the problem only applied when undoing. For some reason it had never occurred to me to even try it for tightening. And I was misled by suggestions that the airflow was insufficient, hence the thing lying unused for some time until I got better hoses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back