Jubilee clip or O Clip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with a compressor fitting (I was unsure which catagory to put this in). I have a hose 8mm ID, attaching to the appropraite size hose tail. It is a good fit onto the hose tail but when I tighten up the connection with a jubilee clip I get an air leak.

Tightening the jubilee clip further cause the threads on the clip to strip before the leak is stopped.

Would I be better off with those 'O' clips where you crimp the lugs to form a tight seal??

The hose clips I used are made by Jubilee and are 9-12mm. The hose is 10mm ID from Machine mart (braided clear hose). Air pressure is set about 6 Bar.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
when I tighten up the connection with a jubilee clip I get an air leak.
this can happen if the hose is stiff and too big in the bore. Has it formed a sort of wrinkle and got bunched up?

Is the hose pushed well on to the spigot? and the clip well beyond the end?

otherwise there might be a split or crack that you can't see until it is squeezed.

I find Jubilee clips superior to anything else. The crimped on ones are OK if you have the right tool but are bvery unsuitable for maintenance.

I'd try a bit of fairy liquid and water to help you see where it's leaking from.

that hose is rubbish it is to hard, try putting it in boiling. if that fails bin it

Sponsored Links
Are you using a good quality Jubliee CLip some of the cheap ones fall to bit when you point a screw driver at them.

Heat up the rubber first with boling water to make it soft before tighttening.

of a small bit of instant gasket wiped round the fitting as you put it on to heap seal as the jubliee tightens and keeps it in place.

thanks for the help chaps.

I've decided to err on the side of caution and replace it with a proper push fit Festo connector rated at 17 bar, with new Nylon tube.

More expensive but a better job long term.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back