Air-vented Laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have original floorboards with carpet on top. There is an airvent in the carpet to allow the air to circulate under the floor boards I believe.

I am just about to laminate the whole floor and wondered if I still need the air vent coming into the lounge (ie: cutting a hole in the laminate flooring to allow the air low) or whether it is safe to cover it up.

Also, when laying the flooring should it follow the exsisting floorboards or can it be laid horizontally along the boards????

Any knowledge would be welcome.!

Thanks Dan :?:

Sponsored Links
showbiz said:
I currently have original floorboards with carpet on top. There is an airvent in the carpet to allow the air to circulate under the floor boards I believe.
No, because they should be air-vent bricks outside for this, normally you will find the floor air-vent are for gas, fireplace or c/h boiler.

showbiz said:
Also, when laying the flooring should it follow the existing floorboards or can it be laid horizontally along the boards????
No, normally you don't follow the existing floorboards, they can be cupped and will make your new floor wobble. Also, there might be gaps in the original floorboards = draft; some of the long joints of the new floor may lay direct on one of those gaps = draft.
If you are 'forced' to lay following the existing boards (seize of the room etc) use hardboard or plywood first.

I was advised when having some damp treatment that I should install a vent in the floor to allow air to come up from the floorboards as there is laminate under the carpet and the air can't circulate properly like it normally would through floorboards...

Sponsored Links
I was advised when having some damp treatment that I should install a vent in the floor to allow air to come up from the floorboards as there is laminate under the carpet and the air can't circulate properly like it normally would through floorboards...

b****cks

Ok, straight to the point! Lol... Ill take that as I was given duff info then!

Plenty of rooms with floorboards are overboarded with all kinds of different materials and many more are insulated in between the joists in an effort to prevent draughts rising through the floor.

The important factor is plenty of through-draught under the floor to keep it well-ventilated and prevent damp/rot occuring

Cos I've always had a problem with mildew starting from the ground up in a front bay window and surface condensation. What's the best way to cure this in a ground floor flat?

While I'm here, at the back of the flat is a solid wall that has a similar problem. The paint always remains quite "chalky" and it gets mildew in the external corner. It's a 1920's(ish) premises.

Thanks

Cheapest easiest way?

For the back wall, it's worse in the winter when the wall gets cold. Considering insulation backed plasterboard on treated batons. Your thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back