Airbrick in 1950 house opening to a vitrified clay pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am sure someone here has seen it before and could explain this to me. I recently unblocked (blocked by some insulation) an airbrick in 1950s house , which 'opens' onto a vitrified clay pipe under concrete kitchen floor. The pipe hoes for about 3 m all the way to the front room (where the floirs are suspended wooden floors).
IMG-20190724-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20190724-WA0002.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Most likely concrete floor was laid as part of an extension to the original 1950's house. The kitchen floor would have blocked the airflow from under the suspended floor in the front room. Air flow ( ventilation ) under suspended floors is necessary to avoid build up of damp.

As above, it will be a duct from the air brick to ventilate the void under the suspended timber ground floor.

Could also be ducted air for a fuel burning appliance in the room with a floor vent.

Sponsored Links
good move to unblock it. Looks a bit damp. Hopefully it will dry out with the airflow.

Can you detect air movement?

Maybe have a look at your other airbricks in case any others were blocked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back