Aircon union nuts rusted onto drier - new hoses unavailable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to replace the aircon receiver/drier on my 2004 2.0 Jtd Scudo van. The two union nuts on two pipes to drier won't budge, even with heat. Any more force will break them. New pipes not available and s/h proving difficult.

Wondered what my options are. The ends of the pipes at the union nuts are aluminium. Is it possible to break/cut the pipes at the nuts and get a hose company to join a short extra bit of ally pipe to end of pipes with new nuts?

Any other options? All advice gratefully received.

It's long pipe 2 and short pipe 3 where they join to drier that's the problem on diagram.

Sponsored Links
When you say that new pipes are not available, do you mean that the dealer can't get them?

We've tried Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen because they all make their own versions of this van. Hoses are unavailable. Searched online. Have just found the short hose (3 on diagram) available in Germany. But the longer one isn't out there. Have searched by model, part nos, etc.

Sponsored Links
There was a company in Marsh Barton, Exeter before I left fourteen years ago but I can't remember the name.

BSS have a place there (on street view), not sure if they do it, but these will do it by post:

https://www.bee-cool-aircon.co.uk/services/ac-pipe-repairs-and-fabrication/

Thanks, EFL. There's a company in Devon called Air Autos, but they haven't returned my phone message yet. Not sure if it's the one you're thinking of.

I think I've found the solution. A company called Bonair in Benfleet, Essex will renew the aluminium end of each pipe down to where it meets the rubber hose. They'll do a new flare on end of new bit of ally pipe and new nuts because the old ones are welded onto drier threads with rust. These are known to be a problem.

Bit more money and a bit longer winded - but gets it fixed in the end.

https://www.bonair.co.uk/system-servicing

Last edited:
Back