Airing brick below ground level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got my front/back garden done up. It has now concrete slabs right up to the house with a 1 inch gap between the house and slab, a neighbour pointed out to me that the airing bricks are below ground level and this can allow water to get in.
Can the airing bricks be moved up? or can I buy something to fit over it to stop the water?

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Looks like it might be better, I get a professional to do the job.

I had a similar issue......no flags but concrete.
Basically I cut the concrete back about a foot then dug out the remaining grot right down to the foundations, happily exposing the air bricks at the same time.
I then inserted other thinner slabs vertically to form a sort of cofferdam 2” higher as the yard had flooded once before with water going into the air bricks.....the house has an earth floor.
A vast improvement and Ive covered the gap with zinc mesh to keep leaves etc out.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As Burnerman, above.

I have seen on several occasions the exact same resolution, but.

Take the "Thinner slabs" up above the surrounding ground / Concrete / slabs [whatever] by say 25.mm or so, this will assist in prevent any, or at least a lot of flood water, should it accumulate getting at the what can be considered a vulnerable air brick, and thence into the underbuild area.

Ken.

My flag upstand was around the 2" mark Ken - we had terrific flash floods here in 2017 I think it was.
The water got into the aforementioned airbricks and was very close to entering the kitchen via the door. I doubt if we'll see the same again but I've lifted the yard door to compensate if it does!
I may be able to post a pic at the weekend, but I'm hopeless at it :(
John :)

Thank you all.
I got someone to cut away 60cm of the concrete and dig about a foot and fill it with slate. I am hoping this is enough to act a barrier when there is heavy rain. I won't know until then.

I got my front/back garden done up. It has now concrete slabs right up to the house with a 1 inch gap between the house and slab, a neighbour pointed out to me that the airing bricks are below ground level and this can allow water to get in.
Can the airing bricks be moved up? or can I buy something to fit over it to stop the water?
The area should have been dug out so the slabs stay below the air brick . The problem could have been avoided completely.

The area should have been dug out so the slabs stay below the air brick . The problem could have been avoided completely.
For the front garden the slabs are level with the door/walkpath. The airing bricks are just too low. If they were 1 brick preferably 2 bricks higher it would not have been a problem.

For the front garden the slabs are level with the door/walkpath. The airing bricks are just too low. If they were 1 brick preferably 2 bricks higher it would not have been a problem.
Slabs should not be level with door as they would breach the damp course .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back