airport demonstrators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
''A hard core of anarchist demonstrators are drawing up plans to bring Heathrow to a standstill using an array of tactics including disguising themselves as ordinary holidaymakers to cause havoc in the airport terminals''
how do they get the time off work? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ha ha yes, but did you see the news last night when the reporter asked one of the demonstrators when he last flew. The demonstrator stuttered and stumbled, hesitated and then gingerly answered that he flew about once a year - talk about avoiding the question and then still managing to put your foot in it!

Richardp said:
how do they get the time off work? :confused:

You know the answer to that one already.

The real question is how do they afford the tickets to get in and disrupt the airport? Obviously the dole are overpaying these chumps.

"It's been fun so far - I've been topping up my tan while I work," laughs Claire Blatchford, 20, a "full-time protester" who has spent four months at a peace camp outside Faslane naval base in Scotland.

Lazy cow, get a job...

I'm not sure who the police will have more trouble dealing with, the small group of protesters dressed up as holidaymakers or the thousands of irate holidaymakers dressed up as protester killers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have sympathy for the Farmer whose land they have "invaded", and wonder why the Police have not used the Trespass Laws to remove the lazy shiftless bar stewards.

Stulz said:
I have sympathy for the Farmer whose land they have "invaded", and wonder why the Police have not used the Trespass Laws to remove the lazy shiftless bar stewards.
In that case I wonder why you've not used your eyes to read about trespass.

Trespass is not a criminal offence, hence the police have no power to act on those grounds. They can, however, move on people whose behaviour is likely to lead to a breach of the peace, and arrest them if it actually causes one.

And why do you call these people lazy, when they're doing what they think is right? Whilst I don't agree with all of their decisions, I respect the strength of feeling they have for the environment and the fact that they're prepared to take peaceful action while you sit around bleating and whining and while I book a flight abroad.

Personally, I just wish they'd be more sensitive to the fact of the current terrorist threat, and the effect upon police resources that their protest was always likely to have.

Quite true.

CPS Guidance on Aggravated Trespass ...

Trespassers on land in the open air who engage in conduct intended to obstruct or disrupt lawful activity on that land or who intend to intimidate those taking part in that lawful activity commit an offence under Section 68 CJPOA. <Stones 2001 8-24907>.

The offence is capable of being committed by hunt saboteurs or motorway protesters or any protesters who are trespassing on land in the open air, but it is not formally limited to protest groups.

Any activity falling within conduct described in Section 68(1) is covered. Trespassing on land in the open air does not, in itself, amount to the commission of the offence: there must be trespassing on land in the open air together with the subsection (1) additional conduct. It seems that mere presence as a trespasser will not be sufficient. The requirement appears to be for conduct over and above the act of trespassing although a person taking up a position which obstructs the lawful activity may be sufficient to make out the offence.

This additional conduct is anything. There is no requirement that the additional conduct should itself be a crime, so activities such as playing a musical instrument or taking a photograph could fall within "anything". What limits the scope of anything is the intention that must accompany it: the intention to obstruct, disrupt or deter by intimidating. Ramblers for instance, may trespass, and may disrupt a lawful activity (for example, rounding up sheep) by doing so, but unless they have the relevant intention, they do not commit the offence. Proof of this specific intent is necessary for conviction. It is no defence that the intent was not fulfilled.

Section 69 enables the senior police officer to order persons to leave the land if he or she reasonably believe they are committing, have committed, or intend to commit the offence of aggravated trespass. A person disobeying such a direction or returning to the land as a trespasser within 3 months commits an offence.
Old farmer Giles cannot drive trespassers off his land at the business end of a 12 bore anymore ... He uses his mobile to call the dibble instead ;)

I also totally support the right to peaceful protest but I also support the right of the masses to go about their daily business without being disrupted by protesters ... The principle works both ways.

I actually feel sorry for the dibble who can't win either way :LOL:

Softus said:
Trespass is not a criminal offence, hence the police have no power to act on those grounds. They can, however, move on people whose behaviour is likely to lead to a breach of the peace, and arrest them if it actually causes one.

And why do you call these people lazy, when they're doing what they think is right? Whilst I don't agree with all of their decisions, I respect the strength of feeling they have for the environment and the fact that they're prepared to take peaceful action while you sit around bleating and whining and while I book a flight abroad.

There I was just about to agree with your post, and then I read...

Personally, I just wish they'd be more sensitive to the fact of the current terrorist threat, and the effect upon police resources that their protest was always likely to have.

Wouldn't the government just love it if we were all 'more sensitive' to the terrorist threat (?) and didn't go ahead with any protest when the 'security issue' mantra is recycled again!...

Amazing how often that phrase seems to appear when a controversial policy/measure crops up... ;)

ellal said:
There I was just about to agree with your post, and then I read...
Well you could always agree with the bits you agree with, and disagree with the bits you disagree with. However...

When I said:
... I was clearly expressing my own opinion, not a government mantra, and it isn't something you can agree or disagree with. It's my opinion and my wish, not a creed for anyone else to follow. In other words, just have the strength of character to give your own opinion without feeling that you need to relate it to mine.

Wouldn't the government just love it if we were all 'more sensitive' to the terrorist threat (?) and didn't go ahead with any protest when the 'security issue' mantra is recycled again!
I don't know - does it matter what the government would "love"? The government is our servant, not the other way around, and if enough people express a point of view, in strong enough terms, using the correct process, than that view will be crystallised not only in everyday governmental decisions but in parliamentary policy and, ultimately, legislation.

They should protest about the amount of polution from Cars, they should get jobs, plenty out there, then they could protest on their days off, it would be nice and make them feel good about themselves instead of emty and bitter. ;)

reggols said:
They should protest about the amount of polution from Cars, they should get jobs, plenty out there, then they could protest on their days off, it would be nice and make them feel good about themselves instead of emty and bitter. ;)
Who's empty and bitter? :confused:

The way it looks to me, if the BBC report can be believed, is that the people who are the subject of this topic have an unusually high proportion of peaceful and reasonable protesters, when compared to some of the extremist-led events that we frequently see being reported and debated, and that they already feel very good about themselves.

Time will tell - the manner of the mass protest has yet to be seen.

If they are dependant on the system, which I'm guessing that they are, or they would be at work, then they can't feel as good about knocking the very system thats supporting them as they would if they was working.

I hope you'll excuse me if I bow out of any discussion that's based on guesswork and prejudice.

Whilst I wouldn't accuse you of prejudice I'm not too sure about guesswork ;)

Sure! it wasnt directed at you anyway, just general discussion. :D

Sponsored Links
Back