Alarm Advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a self install Wireless alarm to be fitted to my residential property. I would be installing myself and will get someone to wire up the electrics. My background is in IT, so as long as its in the manual somewhere and not hidden installer submenus, i should be able to program it.

Requirements i have
- Wireless Activated Bellbox (Can be Mains Powered)
- Decent looking Keypad Prox Sensor to be situated near front door. Must be wireless.
- System will be 4-6 pir/dualtech sensors and 3 door contacts, possibly expanding to smoke/heat detection.
- Alerting over Internet and GSM (Email, Text/Phone)
- Ability to log in via Iphone/Android App, Remote Arm, Disarm
- Class 2 System

Nice to have but not a necessity.
-------------
- CCTV Integration (CCTV Feed to be recorded on alarm activation)
- Home automation Integration ()

From researching, I've seen that the powermax can do most of the above...someone on overclockers forums has done the following with it
"Mix of a dozen or so sensors and a couple of integrated IR cameras. Rings and texts me over a land-line, emails me over the internet (GSM backup if the line goes down) and I can activate/de-activate, view camera recordings and alerts on a android/apple smartphone app. Has keyfobs for different zone home/away arming (e.g ignores upstairs PIR's when you're in bed) and proximity tags for the kids to get in/out. "

Is there any other systems that could fit my needs:-

pyronix enforcer
Visonic PowerMax Pro/Complete/Express ; Whats the difference?
Texecom Premier Elite Richochet
Risco/Gardtec Agility

Sponsored Links
As I've very recently learnt, the current version of the Pyronix Enforcer does not have remote log in or control via a mobile phone. It looks like they're working on that feature - search for Pyronix Cloud.

It won't do either of your nice-to-haves either.

Other than that, great kit - very easy DIY install. Got mine up and running in a matter of hours. Hardest part was running the spur from the mains ring.

You will have trouble getting hold of the Agility 3 for a self install.

Although very good and the cameras take decent pictures.

The Texecom Ricochet is good, but its not as cheap as some of the others quoted and you can get it readily.

Agility 3 does X10 home auotmation controlable from the app.

The texecom is capable of doing home automation, cant get the x10 coms for it any more i believe, but you can use other protocols and connect via pc com or ip. You might want to look at extra vegtables regarding integration work they have done.

You will have trouble getting hold of the Agility 3 for a self install.

Although very good and the cameras take decent pictures.

The Texecom Ricochet is good, but its not as cheap as some of the others quoted and you can get it readily.

Agility 3 does X10 home auotmation controlable from the app.

The texecom is capable of doing home automation, cant get the x10 coms for it any more i believe, but you can use other protocols and connect via pc com or ip. You might want to look at extra vegtables regarding integration work they have done.

Any ideas of cost on the agility 3?

Vegtables?

Sponsored Links
Agility 3 is sold directly to installers only so you shouldn't be able to buy from anywhere without paying for installation.

Shop around for people in your area, you can visit my website to get a rough idea of the costs involved but I know you are likely to pay more as you have VAT to pay for many which adds 20%.

Your location is well outside my area, and anyone installing should do a quick survey to ensure that the house is suitable for wireless.

Foiled back plasterboards and high metal content in the walls or the vicinity will reduce radio signals (large metal garage door near the wireless device will reduct signal significantly for example)

Best to get quotes from local companies, you can always start with a basic system and add to it later, with it being wireless its easier to add devices later.

Keyways, Eagle security companies have prices on line for the Agility 3 just make sure you have check VAT is included, just so you can get an idea of prices.

Extra vegtables wrote some drivers for the control 4 home integration for the Texecom range.

I have a BT VP1000 system just now, but its voice dialler is pretty basic and looking to step up a grade. I understand the powermax is pretty much the same panel but on a different frequency.

I will rule out the agility 3 as finding it difficult to find an installer who will install and provide me with installer/admin codes for self maintennace.

How would these systems rank in terms of security and also in terms of basic cost?

pyronix enforcer
Visonic PowerMax Pro/Complete/Express ;
Texecom Premier Elite Richochet

It's a pity your requirements are for a wireless bell, as the Galaxy G2 range are excellent value for money.

Not many installers would recomend self maintenance.

Pyronix enforcer is probably the cheapest.
Texecom Ricochet probably the most expensive.

With alarms I would ask which provides best value for money as these are not the same. That will depend on what you want the alarm to do now and in the future.

See my first post.

I want ability to receive email/text alerts to my phone, ability to login remotely and view images/live feed and potentially arm/disarm remotely as well. This would be over and above the basic security standard doors/windows/pirs.

I could live with wiring up a external bell. Does the galaxy offer ip and gsm options?

Whats the cheapest system that will offer me what i need?

The pyronix enforcer will not do emails, not yet anyway. will do sms with a gsm module. Doesn't do pictures yet but they are looking at that.

Texecom will do sms with a gsm module, with an ip module you can add email and App, at present the email feature requires software to be running on your PC to send the email out. They are woking on the App apparently to give it email functionality. Doesn't do pictures again the rep tells me they are looking into that.

The agility 3 will take pictures on demand as well as in alarm, these are just photos rather than video, and will send them to the app, the gsm module will send sms messages out.

All can utlise an output or two to fire off CCTV.

See my first post.

I want ability to receive email/text alerts to my phone, ability to login remotely and view images/live feed and potentially arm/disarm remotely as well. This would be over and above the basic security standard doors/windows/pirs.

I could live with wiring up a external bell. Does the galaxy offer ip and gsm options?

Whats the cheapest system that will offer me what i need?

The Galaxy G2 series with low cost IP module enables remote control and low cost IP based monitoring.

You're looking at ~£50 for a G2-20 (12 hardwired zones + another 8 wireless zones via RF portal)
~ £35 for a prox keypad
~ £35 for the RF portal
£50 for the IP module
£30 for a Texecom Odyssey 3E bellbox
and ~£30 for each wireless PIR/Contact

Around £320 for a wireless + IP based system with remote keypad access and 4 wireless sensors.

If you want to go the GSM route, you need to go to the Galaxy Flex range.

.....................as finding it difficult to find an installer who will install and provide me with installer/admin codes for self maintennace.

Well, that's good to hear, this is not done, it protects the installer from being compromised by the 'end user' altering the programming in some way, having a problem and accusing the installer of .....

Do you get the idea?

I apreciate that.....but id rather not have to fork out money to an installer to do yearly maintennance, or everytime i change batteries and have the tamper switch trigger.

How does the visonic powermaster -10 panel compare to the above quoted brands/lines? in particular against the powermax pro range.

i am able to get a kit for approx 100 cheaper then the powermax pro kit.

I apreciate that.....but id rather not have to fork out money to an installer to do yearly maintennance, or everytime i change batteries and have the tamper switch trigger.
How will you know if the battery is in good working order?

You could happily 'do your maintenance' and leave one big problem by not checking the battery correctly.

A Multi-meter does not do the job.

The correct piece of equip. will cost in excess of £180 + VAT

Voltage is NO indication that there is any capacity available, in the same way
that fumes smelt in your car fuel tank is NO indication that petrol exists!

ps

The installer would do the yearly maintenance correctly, checking the battery is not the only thing done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back