Alarm Advice.

Or just the use the trusted age old method of seeing if the led is activating on front and is communicating with the panel!

£180 quid saved!

Sponsored Links
Or just the use the trusted age old method of seeing if the led is activating on front and is communicating with the panel!
It might be a trusted method but it is far from being a method that gives a true indication of the reliability of the wireless system.

That just points to a bad product then if you are having to rely on a £180 device to check its working correctly!

The operation of the very best wireless connected products can be adversely affected by many things.

A test of the system's operation and reliability should take into account all those things that can affect the system's operation and reliability.

Without comparing actual signal strengths to the minimum signal strength required for reliable operation of the receiver it is impossible to give any indication of the system's reliability.

Sponsored Links
I thought this was a Do it Yourself Forum..not a security installers forum!
Understandable that you want to protect your highly profitable revenue streams but i would rather do it myself and not have to rely on a 3rd party who could quite easily go bust leaving me with a unconfigurable system.

Granted wireless signal fluctuations and interference can affect the best of systems but my inital point was that i would rather not have to pay someone to change batteries in my sensors.

Thanks for everyones input on system choice. I will do some research into the powermaster panels as i'm leaning towards them just now.

I thought this was a Do it Yourself Forum..not a security installers forum!
I am not an installer. I am a semi-retired electronics designer with a career that included 12 years designing systems that relied on wireless communications to mobile units.

It worries me that people are being sold DIY wireless systems without being given the full information about the down side and weaknesses of such systems.

Didn't mean to have a pop at you Bernard. Just fustrating getting some info.

I'm a systems developer....and in my spare time have built many a PC and set up quite a few wired/wireless networks to handle media streaming. Fully understand signal interferance, be that from microwaves, phone handsets and what ever else!

Having talked to a few independent installers at the bottom end of the market, and to be honest some of them dont know their arse from their elbow. This then led me to the smaller reputable companies, which of course comes with an attached £££ cost. It still leaves you open to them going bust and having to pay another firm to reconfigure your purchased system all because you dont have the installer code.

You still don't get it with professional alarm installers and the codes do you.

The Pyronix Enforcer has a very handy feature in the Engineers menu that lets you perform two-way signal strength tests to all wireless units. Can also do battery checks on wireless units as well. I'm guessing that other pro-grade kit has the same functionality

The Enforcer may not be strictly DIY kit, but if you read the manual carefully and plan your install accordingly, it doesn't seem like you can really go wrong.

@imran

You have to do what you feel comfortable with.
You have to have clear list of what you want and what you would like to be optional.
I would always recommend you make a not of all the sttings you change, and the signal strengths at the start with everything in place.

The backup battery you can replace a few times for the cost of the right testing kit, just you won't know that its gone.

This isnt a major issue for you if you go down the enforcer route as its battery is tested with the software in the unit itself and cant use the ACT battery tester anyway. the enforcer can't do some of things you mentioned in your first list mind.

£180 quid saved!

Bull...t

You obviously know nothing about the workings of alarm systems.

Hope you don't play with 240v ac, you would be a danger to both yourself and anyone else in the vicinity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back