Alarm cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently dot and dabbed my walls and want to get the cabling for my alarm in now so it can be hidden nicely under the plaster.

I was going to situate the control box under the stairs and just run the cablin along walls to it.
Are there any things I have to avoid doing?
Do I have to stay away from electric and lighting cables?
Would I be better bringing the cabling down to the floor and running along floorboards, or even below floorboards?

Just wanting to plan ahead as I only want to do it once and don't want to fall down any potholes.

Finally people advise to place the PIR sensors pointing away from windows to minimise false alarms, I don't know why but this seems against my better nature to do this (burglars could get in through the window). Is this really sound advice and would I regret it if pointing them to the windows? the front of the house is North facing if this helps.

Thanks in advanc.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
oops, missed a bit out, meant to say with soundboard.

Thought that was the easiest option as I didnt want to re plaster and wanted to sound deaden it at same time a little without losing too much space.

Any advice on the cabling please?

Sponsored Links
lol no worries.

Keep away from mains as much as possible, 5 inches is a good starting point. If you have to cross at right angles.
Try not to have detectors directly over radiators.
Sunlight isnt too much of an issue nowdays, but just use common sence.
A detector works better if you cross it rather than walk to it, so again common sence. If you can get from above it makes for easier to fit, a few boards up and all rooms downstairs are accessable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back