Alarm cable

A

AlexCarp

Want to futureproof the house. I want to have cable to alarm sensor points from a central point where the alarm control will eventually be. Will Cat5e cable do? I may have a lot left over. Otherwise will normal telephone cable do?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use CAT5 for alarms but most professionals would hate you for it. Although it meets all the electrical requirements, we prefer something with stranded cores so that it's more flexible and more reliable. CQR make really nice alarm cable but other makes are available.

I would never contemplate using anything other than alarm cable. It's been designed for the very purpose.

You could use coax to power a light, electrically it would work. It's not right though is it!

Sponsored Links
The problem with thin solid core cable is it's easy to slightly score the conductor when stripping the insulation. This then provides a weak point which can snap. This is why telephone and network systems usually use IDC connectors that do not require the cable to be stripped before terminating and why alarm installers prefer stranded cable.

I would never contemplate using anything other than alarm cable. It's been designed for the very purpose.
I'd suggest it was the other way around - the cable design existed and it's been adopted as being suitable for alarms.

The problem with thin solid core cable is it's easy to slightly score the conductor when stripping the insulation. This then provides a weak point which can snap. This is why telephone and network systems usually use IDC connectors that do not require the cable to be stripped before terminating and why alarm installers prefer stranded cable.
The use of solid wires in telephony predates IDC connections by a long, long time. I think you'll find that the use of IDC is more to do with compactness (ie higher density of connections) and economy (cheaper connector and less time to terminate).

But I'd agree with the others - a roll of the proper stuff won't cost a lot and will avoid any of those "sucking through teeth" moments when you ask someone to use it.

just thought id expand that there are two types of cat solid and multi strand.

Also i use cat5 on many of my alarm installations, never had a problem yet.

hanks to all. Alarm cable it will be. I want to fit cable and in a year or two the alarm is fitted.

What do you all advise in cabling?

Is it best to run cable from the alarm point back to the alarm control box? Do some alarms have the control box in the same units as the user push button unit?

Yes and yes.

Work out where you want to put the panel - usually in a cupboard somewhere. Run cables from the alarm points to this place, leaving at least 1m of spare. Don't forget cables for the keypad(s), internal sounder/speaker and external bell. Also, don't forget that your panel will need a mains supply. While you're at it, you may like to consider running a bit of telephone cable from your master socket to the panel position - you may want to add a speech dialler or something similar.

Is it best to run cable from the alarm point back to the alarm control box?
Yes

I would use 8 core throughout, you don't need that many cores for most things but it gives you some room if cables fail or if you want to add stuff later.

Do some alarms have the control box in the same units as the user push button unit?
You can get panels with built in keypads.However ideally you want to hide the panel away both for aesthetic reasons and to make it harder for intruders to silence the alarm so a keypad on the panel is often of limited utility.

I would always go for a door contact on any door used for entry/exit, and then typically a PIR in every room with a window on ground level, or with flat roof access etc. Then just a single PIR on the landing.

The PIRs should ideally not be facing windows, or be above a radiator. And avoid looking at doors that open onto the entry/exit route.

Thanks guys. So, to clarify so far: the alarm senor points have a 8 core cable back to a control box point with a mains cable to this point. The user control box is at the front door.

Two more Questions:

1. Will a 8 core cable be enough for the user control panel at the front door?

2. Will the user control panel have a main cable to it?

3. A dummy alarm box with flashing light. Will this need a main cable and/or a 8 core alarm cable run to it?

thx

Thanks guys. So, to clarify so far: the alarm senor points have a 8 core cable back to a control box point with a mains cable to this point. The user control box is at the front door.

Two more Questions:

1. Will a 8 core cable be enough for the user control panel at the front door?
Yes most kepad use 5 - 6 wires

Yes fed from spur with 3a fuse non switched spur

3. A dummy alarm box with flashing light. Will this need a main cable and/or a 8 core alarm cable run to it?

Depends on dummy box, most are battery powered, but why not do what i do fit a second real siren so you have two sirens normally at fron and back and 6 core is enough, but i use 8 core.

thx

The use of solid wires in telephony predates IDC connections by a long, long time. I think you'll find that the use of IDC is more to do with compactness (ie higher density of connections) and economy (cheaper connector and less time to terminate).

Those are the reasons as well, but the main one is it provides a 'cold weld' at the connection point which stops air getting at the join and corrosion setting in.

Also to the other guy that said solid core is easily scored, well not by anyone with a bit of skill and its easy to visually check as well.

Usually no. It's normally fed from the main control panel via the same multicore cable used for communications.
Depends on the box. In many cases you'd be able to power it remotely at low voltage - eg if you got a battery powered one, you could most likely power it from a plug in PSU back where you've allowed provision for the alarm panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back