alarm installation, recommendation, and DIY or professional

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

had a burglary in our home y'day during day time. very gutted and quite distraught really. didnt have contents insurance as couldnt afford after moving house 4 months ago, so paying now for my mistake.

have arranged for contents insurance now (for what its worth) and am looking at getting a alarm system installed. neighbours are normally at home but they didnt hear anything yday.

so can someone give me some advise please?

had couple of quotes to isntall wire alarms. it was for about 5 or 6 PIR sensors and a GSM module. I think it was around £1200. which was way out of budget so didnt pursue it.

1) I am after a wireless system with preferably two different zones to set downstairs and upstairs seperately at night. Any recommendations? Was keen on infiniti prime system but heard that that has been discontinued so not too keen to get a system where parts might be a problem,.

2) Is it easy to install a system myself? is it simply a case of installing sensors high up the wall, getting the keypad wired (possibly by an electrician) and setting up the controller. I will need to find someone to isntall the boxes outside at the front and back. Or is it recommended to get a professional company to install. may be i can get a handy man to help with install.

any help will be appreciated?

ta

Sponsored Links
If the budget is seriously low, try a Yale wireless system, check out 'ironmongerydirect'. Quick and easy installation. If you want a wired system at about £200 just google it or check out Bradgate supplies and Sapphire. For something dearer try Security Warehouse, even if it's just for a glance at what's on offer. I would suggest that £500 is too much, you can get all the parts for much less than that.

CD.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I think that wired systems are cheaper and more reliable than wireless but you have to put up with the disruption during installation. The also take longer to install (neatly) and professional installers will probably charge more. However, don't forget the ongoing cost of replacing batteries in the wireless kit - some lithium batteries cost around a fiver each and may need to be changed annually. (They also have a habit of failing in the middle of the night.) :(

I feel that a company branded bell box is more of a deterrent than a generic one - but, then again, I'm biassed! ;)

My wireless PIRs take CR-123A batteries, which can be had for ~£1.60 each! Devils in the detail, so do your research and work out costs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back