Best professional wireless burglar alarm system?

If a professionally installed alarm system is fitted, following the regulations we have to adhere to you are not allowed the Engineer Code

Then I would just reset the main panel to factory defaults and set my own engineers code where possible. :D :p Having to call out someone to edit the entry time, to set the internal bell timeout, etc... when one such my self who is competent is just absolute utter :censored::censored: nonsense! :mad::mad::mad:

who was monitoring it

Our insurance is just for an standard alarm, not a monitored one. And we just told them that there was one already in when we moved in 2011. I don't personally deal with all this insurance stuff, just what I was told by my mum.

in general don't like DiY alarms

Define a DIY Alarm; If professional grade hardware is installed by a competent but non qualified person, is that still a DIY alarm? If a professional installs his own one at home, is that still DIY?

Also: If I get an installer in, he will make a profit, and That will not happen under my control! :mad:

And none of you have answered this!!!!!! :((n)

Does anyone know when the Enforcer HomeControl+ will be available.

i.e. http://www.pyronix.co.uk/enforcer-homecontrol.php

Sponsored Links
Gee you've got a bee in your bonnet.

If a professionally installed alarm system is fitted, following the regulations we have to adhere to you are not allowed the Engineer Code

Then I would just reset the main panel to factory defaults and set my own engineers code where possible. :D :p Having to call out someone to edit the entry time, to set the internal bell timeout, etc... when one such my self who is competent is just absolute utter :censored::censored: nonsense! :mad::mad::mad:

who was monitoring it

Our insurance is just for an standard alarm, not a monitored one. And we just told them that there was one already in when we moved in 2011. I don't personally deal with all this insurance stuff, just what I was told by my mum.

in general don't like DiY alarms

Define a DIY Alarm; If professional grade hardware is installed by a competent but non qualified person, is that still a DIY alarm? If a professional installs his own one at home, is that still DIY?

Also: If I get an installer in, he will make a profit, and That will not happen under my control! :mad:

Without going into all this word for word.

How old are you? If the 'customer', not in your case though, has the Engineer code and has a 'play' with the programming, 6 mths. later something happens, break-in?, the alarm does not activate, a minor programming error, your most valuable item has been stolen, argue that one with your insurance company, and alarm company.

You have a very narrow minded, limited understanding of alarm systems and the high standards to which we have to work.

We have to have insurance to limits you could only dream of. What bulls**t are you going to give mum then?

Just to help qualify the situation

What are the Security Grades?

A system must meet one of four security grades, depending on the level of risk. These roughly translate as follows:

Grade
G1. Low risk:
Not likely to be enforced in the UK as it covers DIY-style bells-only systems

G2. Medium risk:
This is first level that will be recognised by insurers and covers the majority of domestic & low value commercial premises.
Required as a minimum for Police-calling systems

G3. Medium-high risk:
This covers most commercial & industrial premises, as well as high value domestic premises
NB G3 has to have a 5/6 digit EngCde

G4. High risk:
This is for high security applications, & roughly equates to the old BS7042 high security standard

It is the installer’s responsibility to ensure that a system of the correct grade is installed. This must be done via a properly documented Site Survey. Please see En50131-7 for more details on the Site Survey.
The advice of the customers’ insurers should be sought if there is any doubt on the grade required

All components will be marked with their security grade

Get the idea? Of course you don't.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you ask Pyronix ? Register with them and they will provide you the answer.
What reason would there be for them not to provide the information you are looking for ?
Why are you asking on a forum ?
I could tell him but, I'm not going to.

Interesting to see those grades Europlex - Thanks.

Am I to understand that all alarms fitted these days are linked to a 'call centre' or direct to the police?

Just wondered if there were any 'ringer only' alarms fitted these days.

Interesting to see those grades Europlex - Thanks.

Am I to understand that all alarms fitted these days are linked to a 'call centre' or direct to the police?

Just wondered if there were any 'ringer only' alarms fitted these days.
Oh yes, could not give you %ages one way or another but I will say the company I work for do so many more 'connected' systems than just audible ones. Both private premises and commercial, they are more and more going over to 'connected' and not necessarily at the request of an insurance company. Connected is the only way that keyholders etc can be reliably called when an activation takes place.

No such thing as a (False) Alarm, there is always a reason, it's the job of an alarm engineer to know/trace the cause and rectify it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Reason I asked is that Insurance companies always ask if you have an alarm fitted when you get a quote for insurance. However, unless it goes through to a company, seems pointless as where I live police will not respond to a residential alarm ringing unless something suspicious is seen as well.

Not saying having an alarm is pointless but if it just rings then it's a bit of a waste of time round here given the police policy.

Goes back to what you quoted about 'closing the stable door'.

B

seems pointless as where I live police will not respond to a residential alarm ringing unless something suspicious is seen as well.
Which given the number of "alarms" that are false ( as in no attempt to break in ) is hardly surprising.

Belboz said:
if it just rings then it's a bit of a waste of time round here given the police policy.
IF ( a big IF ) neighbours alerted by the bell would check the premises and call the police if there was signs of a break in then better the police have policy of giving priority of their limited resources to incidents where there had been a break in.

Belboz said:
Goes back to what you quoted about 'closing the stable door'.
Instead of spending money on bells only alarm spend it on getting a better stable door ( do more to prevent illegal entry rather than detecting when it has happened )

Europlex said:
No such thing as a (False) Alarm, there is always a reason, it's the job of an alarm engineer to know/trace the cause and rectify it.
There are what appear to be false alarms resulting from criminals probing how good the alarm system is. ( most of these are on one way wireless systems )

Bernard - that is my point about 'stable door'. I agree with what was quoted about better security.

Personally, I don't agree with the police policy and never have done since it was changed (prior to that police would attend a residential alarm ringing) Even in highly-populated areas, there are not that many which go off across a shift. Better to attend an alarm (even if later found to be false) with the chance of catching offenders in the act than the current service to burglary victims post-event (something else I strongly disagree with) Remember that the primary object of policing is the prevention of crime.

As for neighbours, that's fine when you have 'good' neighbours who are happy to check your house BUT for many there is little chance of that. Much more likely a nearby neighbour will ring up because they are annoyed at the noise of the alarm.

Anyhow, sorry for taking this off-topic. Was just interested in how it all worked these days. Seems to me the answer would be to have an alarm which is linked to the company. I suppose that's changed as well because that used to cost a small fortune.

not if the NVM has been locked you won't!

OK here goes....I think i'm about to add insult to injury.

You have a very narrow minded, limited understanding of alarm systems and the high standards to which we have to work.

We have to have insurance to limits you could only dream of. What bulls**t are you going to give mum then?

Firstly it was my mum who asked me to look into wireless alarm systems in the first place with allocating me a budget of £500, Secondly I feel you have over stepped your mark by calling me "Narrow Minded" :mad:!

I could tell him but, I'm not going to.

I know I can get it at aslstore.co.uk, but no prices are displayed and I am still waiting for my account to be approved. Thanks for not telling me! :evil::p

Gee you've got a bee in your bonnet.

Because I can't stand professionals making a profit where a competent person can do it them selves and save money. I don't spend a lot of time in this section of the DiyNot forum, but if a competent person adheres with any regulations, I don't see a problem.

For example if a DIY'er adheres to BS7671 for electrical work and notifys the LABC for any notifiable work and is signed off properly, then there is no issue.

Get the idea? Of course you don't.

Actually I do, I was looking at the grades the other day and the requirements for each grade. I know that grade 2 has to feature system wide tamper protection.

How old are you?

If the 'customer', not in your case though, has the Engineer code and has a 'play' with the programming, 6 mths.

Well common sense would tell you that only give the code to people who understand what the various settings do and how they may impact the security and who can also be trusted not do do anything stupid like disable a zone or set a unnecessary long exit time.

not if the NVM has been locked you won't!

Then I would replace or reset the NVM chip where possible, else I would just replace the entire main panel.

Regards: Elliott

Just thought I would let you all know that I have just bought the Pyronix Enforcer HomeControl+ Panel (APP-KIT-1-GPRS + 4 extra PIR's) from map-security.com

Came to £536 in total. (£380 + (4 x £39.00))

Just thought I would let you all know that I have just bought the Pyronix Enforcer HomeControl+ Panel (APP-KIT-1-GPRS + 4 extra PIR's)

Came to £536 in total. (£380 + (4 x £39.00))

Ive just fitted a Pyronix Enforcer ( my first as I normally use Visonic).........I know there are a few Enforcer fans on here so I'll join them and agree the Enforcer is a nice /simple to install piece of kit...

Unlike Visonic, its not overly complex and most competent DIY'er should be able to fit.

One this I do not like is the external siren build.....the plastic seems brittle and maybe longevity is questionable. Also why is there not a wireless remote keypad?

@ EVEARES - let us know your thoughts on the home control system - nice to have a tester:D

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back