DIY House Alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've inherited a Professionally fitted House Alarm, however, I don't want to pay for expensive maintenance agreements. If I find that I'm unable to maintain the system myself can anyone recommend a system that is easy to install and maintain? I've seen DIY home security systems on the market and wondered if there are any that come recommended?

Sponsored Links
I’m not overly familiar with that system but if you download the manuals no reason you’d struggle to maintain yourself. Plenty of folk will offer helpful advice here too.

Sponsored Links
If it works, leave it be and scrap the maintenance. Worry about fixing or replacing if it goes wrong.

Its a texecom premier elite. It has a smartcom panel for remote access. I’ve been given the engineer code.
Having the Engineer code is half the battle, cancel any maintenance agreement, download the installation / programming instructions, replace the backup battery and if needed come back here if you need any help.

just be aware of your insurance , if you tell them you have an alarm, then it must be set when out or in if sleeping - hence the mutizone , otherwise cover is invalid. You can say you have an alarm, and dont use. I had to do this with an elderly lady who has an professional multizone alarm, and regulaly maintained - but often forgot to switch it on , so we told the insurance company. the insurance company may also require some form of maintenance/inspection - not sure on that one

tell them you don't have one as it make little or no difference to the insurance premium and if you for get to set it isnt a problem

The smart com should get that released also as the company had an agreement with previous home owner and not you. currently you can have your own texecom cloud account

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back