Burglar Alarm Recommendation

PG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear fellow DIYers,

I have moved into a new home which has the cabling for an alarm system installed but no actual alarm components.

I would like to purchase a quality wired system and install it myself but have no idea which one to go for.
I want to avoid the stuff that's available in DIY stores as I want it to look like a professionally installed job.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which brand hardwired system to buy?
Something that does does the job well without the expensive gimmicks. The house has wiring for 7 PIRs, 1 panic button, 1 keypad & 1 control box.

There's great advice from scott1980 in an earlier post and I was wondering if other people would agree with it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend Texecom kit. Not expensive, and in my experience pretty damned reliable (providing it has been installed correctly)

Premier 48 panel would be a good starting point.

I'd second that. Fitted lots of texecom stuff over the years, and it has virtually all been problem free.

Sponsored Links
I used to work for an alarm company and my best recommendation is a baseball bat. Seriously, your alarm system is only as good as the security guard company that you pay extra for and, frankly, you will be lucky to have a security guard at your door within 45 minutes of an alarm going off. Police will not go to a home alarm usually because 98% of them are false. They have to be verified by someone who is near or on the premises. And guess what. That's not going to happen because your alarm is using your telephone line to dial the alarm company.

You would be much better going to radio shack and installing your own alarm which will alert you to someone in your house. You would be well advised to improve the lighting outside your place with some kind of flood light that is activated by movement, although after awhile your neighbours might get annoyed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back