Recommended system and remote keypad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions:
1. I am in the process of running cables for a future burglar alarm. I am running six core cables for the PIRs. How many cores does the remote keypad need and the bellbox. Sorry if its a simple question but i've never installed a system before and haven't actually purchased it yet.
2. Can anyone recommend a complete DIY system. I only need four PIRs three downstairs and one on the landing. I wanted one where i can have a remote keypad on the landing which will allow me to arm the system (i.e. the three sensors down stairs)when i go to bed. remote dial up might be handy too.

Sponsored Links
1, Depends on what you fit. 6 core should suffice, 8 would allow a door contact on the same cable if it is near the door ( Generally they are) as it saves another cable. Unless of course the RKP has a zone capability.
External sounder, 6 core will do.
2, What do you mean by remote dial up?
It can call you or you it?

Most can accept two keypads.

Why no door contact?

Run the 6 core from the control panel to EACH device, contacts, PiRs, outside sounder, Keypad, panic buttons etc.

10 devices = 10 cables at the panel, it makes life soooooooooo much easier.

Don't forget to mark them all, you may know what each one is for now, but I bet you anything you like, you won't in 6 months when/if there is a problem.

if you want a panel recommendation,
Texecom Veritas R8
Texecom Odyssey bell box outside
Texecom Reflex PIRS

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.
I'll just run six core cable to each device then.
The dial up connection i was thinking of is one which would dial a telephone number in the event that it operated.

Well thats the R8 out of the window unless you add a dialer or GSM device.

Can you recommend a system/kit that comes with the remote dial out.

Most will require a add on for a speech dial out.
SMS is not reliable and O2 are withdrawing their center number anyway in the next few weeks.

Add on dialer is the best option with and or GSM back up for peace of mind.

Do these add on dialers need to connect to a telephone landline?
If so, as i am only running cables at present (prior to getting my hallway plastered), could i use a six core alarm cable as a telephone cable or do i need to buy specific telephone cable, which i think is four core?

A standard dialer needs to be connected to a phone line, BT type cable is the preferred type.
GSM units require no BT or similar connection.

could i use a six core alarm cable as a telephone cable or do i need to buy specific telephone cable, which i think is four core?
Two reasons why alarm cable is not good for use as phone cable

[1] being stranded wire it will not make reliable connections to IDC ( punch down ) terminals.

[2] not being twisted pair it will be more susceptable to picking up noise, mostly mains hum, from nearby equipment and cable.

You cannot ( must not ) run a phone pair in a cable with alarm wiring on other wires in the cable.

Thanks. I'll go and get some phone cable then.
Also i know it is not recommended to run alarm cables with mains (power/lighting) cables but is it Ok to cross them at right angles or run close to them for short distances. If so what is the minimum clearance.

If you have to cross do it as little as possible and as you say at right angles.
Running along the idea is not to..but 50mm is considered the minimum.

Any recommendations on a decent DIY alarm kit i.e. Control box, remote panel, (four) PIRs and bellbox?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back