Sexy burglar alarm..?

So, is the app locked to the monthly fee ? I think you'd have a case for a refund.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'm not sure I'll pay for it when the time comes. I might just let it slide. Of course, I have no SIM in the kit, so there's no added expense there, but I still don't want to be paying £3 a month to send an iddy-biddy little bit of data throughout the month... I mean, it's not Netflix. I also don't want to set up another financial arrangement with another company, so there's that angle too.

P.S. - I'll add some context to my comment... the most convenient way of setting and unsetting the system, by far, is key fob. The app is, well, it's a little clunky to say the least - they didn't employ good UI designers to work on this, that's for sure, and the way it communicates often means that you're stood outside (if you start the unset process just outside the front door, say as you're walking from your car) while it interfaces to the system via the Cloud. It's cumbersome and not convenient... it needs to be much slicker I feel. A home-screen Widget on an Android phone would go some way to improving the situation... where you have "set" and "unset" icons and can just click those, yes, keying in a code if it thinks you should.

(Thankfully you can save your App password and avoid keying that in along with the code - if you had to do both then it would be a real PITA).

At the moment, it's open the app, click on the property, wait for it to connect, wait for it to say connected, weirdly I think yo have to click on the property again at this point, then key in a code and then click on the padlock... then wait for confirmation. It's onerous to do. Especially if you are in a 3G area and your phone has not hooked-up up to your WiFi (it might be quicker if that is the case, I've not found out yet and I'm doubtful).

I still like it, though, don't get me wrong... I'm just a bit critical of the smartest bits. I understand if you don't have the Cloud functionality you'll not get alerts to your devices... possibly the biggest selling point for someone. I also understand, at least I think I do, that my system is basic and doesn't have, say, a camera streaming video.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

I am trying to beef up the security in my new home and have just replaced the french door cylinder locks with the AVOCET ABS locks instead. My next aim and is a matter of urgency is to get a new alarm as the previous owner's one is broke. I've been looking at quite a few, such as TEXACOM, VISONIC, PYRONIX.

I like either the Pyronix or the Visonic as the Texacom seems to be very complex to install, other I'm willing to learn.

Starting off with the Visonic, could you please help me work out which one of these are the newest models & what the difference is between each of the following models:-

POWERMAX PRO
POWERMAX COMPLETE
POWERMASTER 10
POWERMASTER 30
POWERMASTER 33

The features I'm looking for:-
  • Must be Wireless
  • Have an External Siren that is either mains connected or solar-powered with battery backup
  • Difficult to Hack/Jam
  • Able to Dial-out/Send SMS to mobiles/landlines
  • ADDITIONAL BONUS would be -
    • Ability to control it on smartphone/pc
Now I've read a lot of horror stories that many of the well-known manufacturers such as Yale . Friedland etc are not reliable as their systems can easily be bypassed. This is a worrying and if possible I want to avoid getting such a system.

I really like Texacom & Pyronix, but not sure what additional accessories I need with the Kit.

For your information, I need to cover:-

1 x Front Door
2 x Double Patio Doors
3 x Downstairs Rooms

Any advise & recommendations for systems & accessories would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply sparky.

It's a Friedland SA5 wireless and was left by the previous owner, whom had informed me that it's broke. The panel smelled of burning, so I decided to open it up and hey presto, the wires & parts of the circuit are burnt.

I'd rather replace it with a better model and was hoping someone could recommend one which has most if not all of the features I want in the previous thread.

The only issue is that I've been looking for days, but haven't found one which suits my needs. This missus is getting really peeved off as we were supposed to move in on Monday, but I've delayed it due to decoration, damage to property due to roof leak & security. I will be installing it myself, so would appreciate a recommendation. I don't have a very large budget and would be looking at spending around £250-£400.

Last edited:
Texecom premier can do all you have asked for but for a novice the Pyronix enforcer is your best bet Not keen on visonic too American ...

I don't mind learning, but why do you say that the texecom so complex to install compared to the Pyronix? What is so difficult about it?

Also this might sound like a silly question, but if I went with the pyronix, what kit & accessories would I need for:-

1 x External Siren Bell
3 x Pir Detectors
2 x Door Contacts
1 x Control Panel (Must have GSM/Simcard capability)

Look at MAP security to get an idea of prices or Alert electrical , a Pyronix GSM kit 1 gives you 1 panel inc gsm unit , 1 wireless bell module ( cover and back required) 2 pirs 1 contact and two fobs , so you will need 1 extra pir and 1 contact or a shock/ contact if you want to protect some patio doors
As for the Texecom Just take a look at other posts , unless you install it on a regular basis I think you will struggle

Thanks, Your right...I'll give Texacom a miss.

The pyronix GSM....don't you have to pay a monthly subscription to access the alarm remotely?

Also a bit off-topic, but my patio door are thicker than their surrounding frame by about 1 inch, so how would I install the magnetic door contacts?

No the gsm is for text outgoing message only , the home app panel is different but I wouldn't bother at moment. Spacer on magnet but you will probably find the magnet will work ok without .

Is that all the gsm is for? Might be better to buy a basic system without gsm and add a gsm module at a later stage...is this possible?

Cheaper to buy in the kit , last one I got added around £40 to kit price , to buy after £80 + vat

Right I see.Th

So I've just had a look at the MAP site you gave earlier. This is what I've chosen:-

Pyronix Enforcer Wireless Alarm System - GSM-KIT-1 (£295)
Pyronix Enforcer Combined Magnetic Contact and Shock Sensor MC1/SHOCK-WE (£58)
Pyronix Enforcer Pet Immune PIR - KX10DP-WE (£39)

Is that correct according to my list? Is there anything missing?

Also a couple of questions....

• I've seen that on EBAY I can get what seems to be the same brand-new kit as above for £225...Is this the correct one and is it worth it to save some money?
  • I couldn't find any siren covers on that site...could you please show me?

Thank you

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back