DIY alarms

Right I`m off to the plumbing forum now to tell em a "friend " of mine says the radio room stats are poor

Sponsored Links
there is no need to be offensive about it, as i said i have my opinion you have yours.

my opinion is that radio alarms are poor and nothing you can say will dissuade me from it. as i also said i liked the ati one (thanks for that) but all the others i have seen are just poor.

Microtech have several, which oddly enough works on a galaxy 2, its not as bad as some of the others, but its still POOR

To any one else reading this you may have missed the following points which really are facts.

Radio alarms

For:

Easy to install

no wires

simple to operate

Quick to install

Against

Can suffer from RFI (intentional or not)

Always give low battery signals at the most alkward times.

Need batteries changing every year- sometimes up to 4 years (as per manufactures recommendation)

Batteries are not cheap (you need 1 or 2 / detector (depending on make of alarm)

They are bigger than most detectors, because they have to have batteries inside them.

cost more than a hard wired alarm

You cant see why a detector is reporting a fault (you cant see radio signals, so if it is showing jamming you cant see what is causing it)

Not suited to new build houses. (Building regs state all plasterboard must be foil backed for insulation, foil cuts the signal down)

PIR's go to sleep (they have to to conserve battery power, but to be fair they only need see you once)

RFI=Radio frequency interference

so any one considering a radio alarm its your choice.

Breezer, by your own admision your not familiar with modern radio, seems your also not hot on grading but thats only to be expected

I could do a line by line denouncment of your " idiots guide to wireless.." but the mods seem to be deleting them so I wont waste my time

FACT is a current wireless system is nothing like the stuff you may (or may not ) have experianced in the past

keep on burying your head in the sand as ultimatly it means more business for myself and the other foward looking, progressive firms

I`ll just stick to posting " oh no it isn`t.." when you say all radio is crap LOL

Sponsored Links
Well thanks guys for all your replies. I personally like wireless stuff - which is why I asked this question. Obviously an alarm going wrong would be the most annoying. I have wirless Broadband which was rubbish on one make of device but great on another - I'm guessing wirless alarms fall into this (unless you're Breezer in which case they all fall into the former), shouldn't products that use the latest frequencies reserved for alarms be the the one to look at as that will reduce interference?

No, interference doesn't work like that

You can transmit on what frequency you like, the problem arises when something elses that is more powerful distorts that signal,

or to put it another way.

you are talking to me and an ambulance goes past with blues and twos, i know you said something but i dont know what.

interference is the least of the worries though.

buy one and find out

The ambulance analogy is actually quite a good one.

Your voice and the ambulance siren have very different frequency characteristics and with the right filtering they can almost certainly be acceptablly seperated and the speach recovered. But your ears do not have the capability to perform such seperation.

The same applies with a lot of radio equipment. The filters are imperfect so if the noise is too powerfull it will disrupt the communication even if it is in a different frequency band. But having said that noise in the same frequency band as the signal is much much worse than noise in a different frequency band.

BTW provided you don't need very high data rates with the right spread spectrum techniques it is actually possible to perform acceptable communication with the signal and noise in the same frequency band and the signal less powefull than the noise.

Amazing how one man can be so right and the whole of industry get it sooo wrong.
Breezer, offer advice, not your tired old dogma.

No, interference doesn't work like that

You can transmit on what frequency you like, the problem arises when something elses that is more powerful distorts that signal,

or to put it another way.

you are talking to me and an ambulance goes past with blues and twos, i know you said something but i dont know what.

interference is the least of the worries though.

buy one and find out

and you actually know how a current wireless system deals with this issue?

of course you dont but I`ll give you a clue - if you have an ambulance parked outside your house for 3 hrs then you got bigger things to worry about

just accept that like dueltech detectors and lots of other things, some of your knowledge is out of date

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back