DIY alarms

Sponsored Links
no the wireless ones are of no use what so ever.

i like scantronic, but some on here say texecom

no the wireless ones are of no use what so ever.

i like scantronic, but some on here say texecom

Thanks Breezer

Are you saying the DIY wireless ones are of no use or all wireless ones? Scantronic have a wireless range that looks interesting. Sorry to harp on about wireless but I don't want to be running cables everywhere if I can avoid it - this is the modern wireless age after all :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Atilla

Are you suggesting there's nothing the competent DIYer can do successfully?

This is a DIY forum after all.... ;)

Go with a decent wired panel, something like a texecom, they come with the installation manual and can be installed by a competant DIYer

(some makes, castle-tech is one I think that do this, like to try and keep their products in the trade channels, and even if you do get one of their panels, the installation instructions won't be in the box, the installer buys a copy from the manufacturer for his bookshelf, and they only sell them to installers!)

LOL, nothing so combative, its just a habit of mine when breezer says ALL radio is wrong.

If you can source a Eurosec CPX with radio interface then thats your baby

When it comes to alarms,

Alarm installers supply security solutions.

DIY stores sell toys.

I know what I'd rather protect my house with.

However, it is perfectly possible for a DIYer to install a professional alarm system. Just dont get it from B&Q. Get a decent brand such as texecom or scantronic from a wholesaler or online.

And always use wired accessories wherever you can. Wireless has its place, such as wireless panic buttons, but nothing compares to a closed circuit wired alarm.

to make some one happy, wireless alarms are poor

they need batteries changing , not cheap, no matter how long they last for.

they suffer from RFI (intentional or not)

they suffer from looking ugly

they go to sleep (they have to to save battery power)

panels go into supervisory often (don't care who they do) its all very well saying they are on a specific frequency but Mr radio ham up the road doesn't worry about that (even though he is legal)

if it is going into supervisory or jamming (intentional; or not) what can you do about it? (nothing, since you don't know where its coming from because you cant see a radio signal)

often "allegedly" good radio alarms cost twice as much as a hard wired one

a hard wired system suffers from none of the above. it does suffer from cut cables though.

I've had Scantronic wireless bits and pieces for years, and I've been really pleased with the system. We have a couple of key-ring thingies by the bed-side, these are used to activate the system last thing at night, and could also be used to set off the alarm in an emergency.

I wont fit them end of.

however i have a friend who works for an alarm company, i have seen they poor they have to install I have also seen the problems they bring, its the same old story every time.

new wireless alarm comes out and they say its all singing all dancing wont go wrong, guess what, it soon goes wrong. That said i would say about 1 in 100 works and for some unknown reason does not give trouble

ah the good old "friend..." fact is you don't have the experience or the knowledge or the when or the where or the how or the why of modern wireless systems, unlike those of us who are fitting both types of system daily

might you alter your signature to reflect the bias in your posting?

you have your opinion, i know mine.
mine says all wireless alarms are sh*t

as i said every so often some one brings out a new wireless alarm and makes the same old claims, that this one is better than that one, or in some cases this one is better than the previous one that w said was good.

I have seen and worked on more radio alarms than i care to remember, i go to them with an open mind, like i said, a tiny% will work 100% never a problem, but most will go wrong have faults they shouldnt have.

If it helps the most biggest pile of sh*t fopr a radio alarm actually worked very well :eek: and i even liked it you may recall it, it was installed by :oops: i have forgotten. they contracted it out across the country it was 3 letters was it ADI? (no it wasnt ADT)
white bell box grey letters

but they seem to have dissapaered, they never paid on time either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back