Alarm outlet in storage cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve got a panty / cupboard in a new (20 years old) flat, with an alarm outlet, plus a covered electrical point with a bunch of various wires, which I have no clue what they are for. I’m trying to find a spot to plug in my cordless vacuum for charging, it wont be pulling very much power.

Could I just swap the alarm box, for a 1gang socket? I’m not sure what circuit the wires connect to, I’ve read most of the time it’s the lighting, but I haven’t tested yet.

I will put a ’Low wattage’ warning on the socket, so nobody plugs in a high power device into it In future.

DDCA8938-34D3-4EAD-9FCF-09454F46A62B.jpeg
827ABE02-4065-4E49-9E1B-6925DF18A4F0.jpeg
C00F4B65-544D-42EA-9E1E-63F9E34FB731.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do that. You may find that the circuit has it's own supply MCB, back at the consumer unit. Just swap the fuse unit, for a 13amp socket, and add the warning notice next to it. Isolate the circuit from the supply, before you begin.

First thing is to identify which MCB it is on and cable size, if 16A (or more) and 2.5mm² cable then no requirement for 'low power' warning.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps.

It was oddly on one of the two electric radiator circuits in the flat. The circuit it's currently on is powering a 1200w electric radiator in the main bedroom, 800w in the spare room, and a lamp (the hallway radiator removed and is used for this light instead). Those radiators are rarely used.

I guess in theory, if all the heaters were drawing max power, plus I stuck an iron onto the new socket, it might overload.

I stuck the socket on and its working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back