Alarm Panel and PIR Recommendations

R

roberta1000

Finally getting around to fitting an intruder alarm in my new old house. I'm not a pro at this but as a sparkie these last 45 years or so I think I'll manage OK. I'd like any recommendations for a good quality panel suitable for a 4-bed bungalow/bath/toilet/utility/conservatory. (Actual model as well as make please). Since the wiring is easy I'm thinking of a PIR in each room, door contacts and a remote panel front and back. Also any recs for PIRs? I have a cat which would ideally have the run of the house.

Sponsored Links
just doors itis then.

cats by nature will jump (sooner rather than later) to have a cat and a worry free alarm have doors only

i guess the cats are locked ina certain area pir other areas.

I have a cat which would ideally have the run of the house.

lcoking it in a room is the best bet, but i have seen it wheere owner in a rush, cant find cat, guess what happens next.............

Sponsored Links
you can get pet friendly pir`s now so cats will be ok.
Thats the biggest load of bull i have ever heard.

next you will be saying you think they will not detect a pet under say 30 lbs in weight

think about it.

A PIR can only see infra red heat. It cant tell how much something weighs.
That aside how do you suppose they work then?

All a maker can do is alter the angle a PIR looks at, / add pulse count

Most "pet PIR'S" will tell you to mount it at a specific height

why?

Its because they can not see below a specific angle, unlike an ordainairy PIR

Pet comes into the room and walks round fine, nothing happens because pet in under the view of PIR

How ever a cat can and will jump when it does, say onto the back of a sofa, it is now in view of the PIR and the alarm goes off.

Now tell me you can get a pet friendly PIR that is reliable

Pet friendly PIRs are the biggest joke going, they are unreliable becuse you can't tell a pet where not to go.

ok breezer i know what your saying here. but ive fitted many of these pet friendly sensors and ive never had any bother with them. i can think of several houses with them and the cats run up sofa`s etc. but still ive never been back. when the service time comes ive never had any complaints from my customers. i don`t know when you last fitted one yourself but the pet sensors nowdays are fine. maybe you have just had a bad experience with one and never used them again i don`t know.

I'm using Bosch Blue Line Dual Tech PIRs round my house. The cats have access to a couple of rooms with these in and I've been unable to get them to trigger these sensors (by making them follow my laser pointer) - even when they're on furniture.

The marketing blurb says that intruder movements are different to animals, and they have an algorithm to try to distinguish between them.

I fit pet friendly sensors.
To be fair I would prefer not to but you have to try and accomodate peoples lifestyles.
If I do have to fit pet friendly sensors then I discuss first the actual needs of the pet and wether these could be changed slightly.
Its silly that people let their animals have the full run of the house. This means fire and smoke will spread quickly through the house in the event of a fire but people want pets and then feel guilty about keeping them couped up so sadly you have to try and accomodate them.
After you have finally persuaded them to restrict the animal to the kitchen , hall and utilty room usually you can then plan where to put the pet friendly sensors.
The kitchen has the following problems... Cats will climb anywhere and when you are out they WILL sit on top of your kitchen wall units.
You therefore have to find the corner that has no ledges cupboard tops or even shelves within 2 metres if at all possible. I metre absolute minimum.
Same with the utility room.
The hallway has the following problem. Stairs.
If you point a pet friendly sensor towards stairs then they will be set off by cats as they leap through the banister or down the stairs. You will have to make sure the sensor is not facing the stairs or banisters directly. If this means the window by the bottom of the stairs cannot be seen (usually does) then you will need to add a window contact to it.
The sensors I fit are actually quite accurate.. ie a 25kg animal wont set off the alarm but a 29kg one will.
Dogs are usually not a problem even two dogs of less than 27kgs can happily move around without setting off the sensors.
Cats however will give problems but so far I have been able to get a working solution without admitting defeat.

Well done - not one mention of Y :LOL:

However, this is a very old thread you have dug up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back