Alarm system with no URN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Monitored alarm system with panic buttons, in a retail premises. How the hell is it possible that it was never given a police response / URN? And why the hell have I only found this out 10 months later, the first time the panic buttons have been pressed, and they called me, a keyholder, at home while the store is still trading / occupied? (its my fricking day off) No doubt I'll be given a sob story / list of excuses by the alarm maintenance company who fitted it, but how is this possible? Is it like a phone call where someone said "can you set this alarm system up with keyholders but no police response cos theres nowt worth nicking and its a low risk area"? :eek: :rolleyes:

(it is a high risk rough area, and there is **** worth nicking, and all this company's alarm systems have police response)

Until 2 weeks ago, the alarm monitoring company had duplicated a nearby store's keyholders onto our system! So both stores had the same keyholders. :eek: :eek: :eek: I mean, WTF??????

It beggars belief, it really does.

There'll be hell on tomorrow when I get on the phone. I just wondered what sort of stupid mistakes these are and what it takes to make them. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Impossible for anyone to give you a correct answer.
What does it say on ALL the relevant paperwork/contracts?
Who signed said paperwork, and what did they actually agree to?
What was actually specified?

always, without fail has the end user (customer) not returned the relevant paperwork, keyholder form etc etc etc

this case? ..................... I`m going with no "URN admin fee" cheque.

Sponsored Links
" Calm down dear "

All the ins & outs about the URN aside, you agreed to be a key holder didn't you?

Key holding is a 24/7 commitment or do you only want to do it during your normal business hours?

Responsibility goes with the job.

Are you sure the contract is paying for police response .
You mention the alarm company using other keyholders , is that because yours lapsed or were not kept up to date? Perhaps there is no police response because there were no recorded keyholders.

Perhaps there is no police response because there were no recorded keyholders.

you`ve never completed an appedix F have you?

not an issue, the police do not require keyholder details to issue a URN.

Well I don't know what County you work in, but, if in mine, no Keyholders listed when applying, no URN

South Yorkshire, but alarm company that fitted it is based in West Yorkshire, our head office is Manchester, and the monitoring station is in Bradford.

Yes, I agreed to be keyholder, this I dont mind, but why call ME when they press a panic button? This defies all logic. The staff have my number, if they need ME, they call ME.

It doesn't help now that to log calls to the alarm company, we have to go through the monitoring company. This I really really dont understand. And when I call them they never seem to be able to find us on their computermabob. (We used to log calls via the company's facilitys helpdesk (we have over 3000 sites)).

The reson the copied another store's details was because there are two stores, same company in the same vicinity. I can only think they did this because when they set it up they had no other keyholders to put on, and had to have at least one to put on. There was one time, the other store's alarm activated overnight, they attended it, and the monitoring station phoned MY SHOP in the morning to ask why the alarm went off. :?: Nobody seems to be able to comprehend there are two stores in the vicinity, run by the same company.

So now even if theres a confirmed break in, they cant call the police. I have to arrive on scene first, then call them myself. Is this correct? Terrific. :( All our stores have police response. I see no reason why this would be specc'd different.

There was, by the way, hell on, when I called them. The blonde on the phone seemed to think there was a problem with our panic buttons. No, the panic buttons WORK (i had been called!!!), you DONT. In the end, I let her log a call for an engineer to come and check them, since I wasn't getting through to her. The engineer phoned, I told him of the problem, he then referred it back to the blonde as there was "nothing he could do" and she then phoned me back and told me to contact my area manager. :eek:

I can see this dragging on for some time now, since nobody knows whos responsibility it is.

I do remember writing my keyholding details down when we first opened (Dec08), on a triplicate job sheet for the alarm company. the guy said he would pass them on to the right person, but said it in a sort of "its friday pm and this is gonna get stuffed down the back of the van somewhere" kind of way. It was sort of an afterthought, it was the manager at the time who asked "what about keyholders?" after the alarm had been programmed etc. :eek: And we never got a copy of the job sheet.

Alarm company and monitoring station same company?? One thats not had the best of publicity lately?

Still not clear who ordered system and signed it off. Does seem like you have no URN.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back