Alarms

MrS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are alarms covered by Part P and do you have to be Part P registered to install one? Do they have to be on their own circuit or can you take them off the socket ring or lighting ring?

Am I right in saying that alarm/telephone cable cant be run together with electric cables?

Sponsored Links
MrS said:
Are alarms covered by Part P and do you have to be Part P registered to install one? Do they have to be on their own circuit or can you take them off the socket ring or lighting ring?

Am I right in saying that alarm/telephone cable cant be run together with electric cables?

alarms and phones etc are not part P. altho the panel mains wiring will come under part P if it get its own new circuit. i would just spur from a ring main using a FCU with 3A fuse

Unless you are installing it in a special location (as in those in BS7671) where it is part p notifiable.

thanks that clears it up. so if an alarm sensor was to be put into a bathroom it would come under part p becuase a bathroom is a specail location.

can alarm and telephone cables be run alongside wiring cables? do they have to be seperated?

Sponsored Links
MrS said:
thanks that clears it up. so if an alarm sensor was to be put into a bathroom it would come under part p becuase a bathroom is a specail location.

can alarm and telephone cables be run alongside wiring cables? do they have to be seperated?

1: alarm wiring itsself does not come under part P. just the wiring to the panel will if its either got a new circuit or its in a special location

you should try and keep alarm and power cables seperate. at least 50mm to avoid interferance. more noticable in phone lines than alarms tho, but it can bring up some interesting faults

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back