Alarm and Data Cable Near Electrical Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can alarm/data/telephone cables touch the electric cables for the ring / lighting etc. Ideally they should not but there will be points where they cross - can they be separated by anything.

Sponsored Links
Are said cables hidden in a void under the floor, for example, or on full view, running down a wall for example?

Can alarm/data/telephone cables touch the electric cables for the ring / lighting etc. Ideally they should not but there will be points where they cross - can they be separated by anything.

Quite a few alarm manufacturers suggest that alarm and electric cables should not touch or be in the same conduit. I think it depends on the shielding of the cables.

Sponsored Links
There are specific factors in the regs bout this (no more than 30cm per 10mtr run and separated by 30cm whenever possible or something like that depending on the shielding) regarding the contact/length etc of alarm/comms cabling to mains cabling.

In my experience however, it has made no difference whatsoever to alarm panels (fire or security) or broad band/server connections no matter the contact length etc.

I was involved in the the network cabling for 3 (known as H3G at the time) and if there was a problem with interference from crossing/contact they would have huge hassles! :confused:

The general rule is 50mm air space gap, where you do need to cross it must be a 90 degs.

Minor crossovers won't make any difference, but if you have vast amounts of cables then a bridge with suitable sized PVC trunking will give a barrier between the two cable types

Mains cables should be kept separate from other service cables such as data cable, phone cables, alarm cable etc etc.

Primarily this is for safety reasons should a nail of similar be driven through a mains cable and into a data cable.

The risk of noise and interference depend on the signals and type of low cable. Data cables using twisted pairs are low sensitivity as the cable is designed to be not affected by interference from adjacent wiring.

Telephone cables complying to BT specification are also low sensitivity as they are twisted pair. Some sources of cheaper "telephone" cable do not comply to the BT spec as regards to the twists per metre and can be much more sensitive to interference.

Alarm cables are among the most sensitive to interference from current changes in adjacent cables. Some alarm equipment is "less than perfect" at ignoring interference picked up on the cabling.

So long runs of alarm cables parallel to mains cables should be avoided.

You are likely to get an induced 50HZ buzz on your phone if you run a telephone cable near a mains conductor for anything more than a metre or two.

Some interesting, points here.

Sorry for hijacking :eek: I have run Cat5 cable alongside the lighting cabling, 5m or so? The electrician who re-wired drilled through the joists for the electrics and I have simply passed the Cat5 through these holes?

Is this wrong? Should I re run the Cat5?

Again sorry to jump in :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back